(829 posts)

02/28/2009 10:01AM

Main British Car:
1966 MGB Roadster 350 LT1 Chevy

authors avatar
Knock sensor mounting
Posted by: Jim Stabe
Date: November 01, 2013 09:47AM

The stock mounting location for the knock sensor on the LT1 is just above the pan rail screwed into a 1/4" npt hole into the water jacket. The block hugger headers come down right next to there and I'm afraid that the heat will burn the wire/sensor. Would the sensor still work if I screwed an iron street elbow into the block and mounted the sensor to that? It would still have a solid connection to the block through the pipe fitting.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Re: Knock sensor mounting
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: November 01, 2013 09:59AM

Jim, I think it would be OK but what you are doing is basically picking up vibrations with a microphone so any solid physical connection should work. Using aluminum could conceivably work better but I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference. I used a steel thread adapter on one of mine but as I used two of them and did no specific testing I can't say with any certainty that it didn't affect the signal. Not much help of course.

But I did some study of them and the main thing seems to be getting in the correct frequency range. The biggest variable is the metal the heads are made from, as iron and aluminum have different resonant frequencies. Then you go to things like the vibrating mass and that is somewhat affected by what it is attached to. All of which means it matters more to have the right sensor than the method of attachment. Sort of like using a mechanic's stethoscope I guess.

Jim

Jim Stabe
Jim Stabe
San Diego, Ca
(829 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: November 01, 2013 11:04AM

Good to know. Mine don't mount to the heads so that is why I thought about using an iron street L to match the block material. Mine only came with one but some of the later LT1's had one on each side so I think that is what I will do. They just wired them in series.

Jim Stabe
Jim Stabe
San Diego, Ca
(829 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: November 01, 2013 05:26PM

Problem solved - I found a boss with a blind 3/8 threaded hole on the other side of the block that was only 2" away from the drain hole that mirrored the original location of the sensor. Fortunately it was 2" in the right direction - away from the headers. Drilled it out and tapped it with a 1/4" npt tap and the sensor screwed in perfectly. The original hole on the other side of the block put the sensor behind the headers and physically interferred with the sensor.

Knock sensor.JPG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2013 06:32PM by Jim Stabe.

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Posted by: roverman
Date: November 04, 2013 12:10PM

Jim, Looks real clean. Going to eng./chassis dyno ? Cheers, roverman.

Jim Stabe
Jim Stabe
San Diego, Ca
(829 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: November 04, 2013 02:58PM

It will have to go on a chassis dyno to get it ECU tuned. Getting closer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.