(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
News on the Buick front
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: January 07, 2014 12:59PM

It looks like Mike T of TAPerformance is now committing to production of aluminum aftermarket heads and intakes for the SBB 350 V8, making a roughly 400 lb engine a practicality using this widely available engine as the base. The intake will be a single plane and the heads will feature a removable rocker shaft tower, allowing the use of stock rocker assemblies, TA roller rockers, or Chevy style stud mounted rockers. Other details are being finalized but it will be a performance oriented head. This development is sure to usher in a new era of SBB based performance engine development as the Buick 350 already has a very loyal following.

But what does this do for us? A very good question and one not easily addressed. The 350 Buick, although widely available, was never, to my knowledge, used in LBCs so the closest link in terms of heritage would be to the Rover engine, with which it shares origins and a number of parts, notably the crankshaft in a shorter stroke length. And if you consider its use in the MGB, arguably the most common application for a Buick engine, the only thing that really argues for its use is the new single plane intake. As far as everything else is concerned, and for the small number of engines needed, we already have just about all we want in the stroker 300 build. However if you like the 350 Buick and want to plan for a conversion, the things you will need to make this happen include custom headers and some firewall work to get the engine positioned as low and far back as is feasible, steering relocation at the firewall and possibly at the crossmember which could include lower control arm and subframe modifications depending on rack positioning. The engine is taller and wider than a BOPR so a hood scoop is almost certain to be required.

Undoubtedly a more favorable engine position can be found than that in my 340 upgrade in which the location was set by the custom built headers from the original 215 conversion, which used a very engine forward location so that the oil filter would slot between the steering rack and swaybar. Most BOPR swaps locate the engine considerably further rearward and it is certainly reasonable to think that some of the difficulties I experienced in fitting the larger block can be avoided.

On the positive side, the 350 Buick is a lot more common than the 300, widely available and cheap to obtain. Which is more than can be said for the new heads and intake. The rods are stronger. Bellhousings are phenomenally cheaper. Stock flywheels also are much cheaper. That's not enough to offset the TA parts by any means, but it is feasible to build the engine with iron heads and intake and swap in the light weight parts later, spreading out the cost.

Personally, I'd think that building a stroker 300/340-350 would be a better choice. BUT, it would be foolhardy to think that the Rover type TA heads will match the later 350 TA heads in flow ratings right out of the box. Honestly, these guys are a little skewed in their thinking and I don't think they ever really seriously considered a 340-350 cid engine as an application for their Rover style heads. Just my opinion but I think they considered 5 liters to be about the limit. So unlike their Buick V6 heads which are a proven high performance product, with the Rover heads it seems like they put a bit more metal in the ports. You can port them out as big as you like but that costs more money. I don't think that will happen with the 350 heads. From the get-go they are viewed as a performance product for a larger engine with nitrous, turbo and blower applications already running on the dragstrip, which is their turf. I expect the very first design to be at about the limit of what a street car could be reasonably expected to tolerate. I may be proven wrong in this but it's virtually guaranteed they will flow better than the Rover style.

So if Buick engines are your thing, and big power is your game, in the end the Buick 350 would be your ultimate powerplant (Unless you choose to go big block-with up to 700 cid). Build a strong shortblock, do your conversion and by the time it's ready to roll TA should have the heads and intake ready. If you want to go all out with slipper style pistons you can get a rod ratio up around 1.8 like I did on my 340.

At least it gives us another option.

Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.