Larry Mimbs
Tennille, Ga.
(93 posts)

07/13/2013 04:22PM

Main British Car:

valve spring sizing
Posted by: quietone
Date: February 11, 2014 06:47PM

Can valve spring rates be determined from valvetrain component weights vs. rpm vs. closing rates? Formulas? Charts?

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1365 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Re: valve spring sizing
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: February 11, 2014 08:28PM

The short answer is yes. All the charts and calculators are available on line. ( comp cams, crane etc.)
The better question is should you?
The cam companies spend a huge amount of time, equipment and expertise determining what works with what.
They are your best ally in your valve spring quest.
Given all the variables in a modern valve train. Trying to roll your own might not be the best idea.
All hail the mighty "B" cam
Fred

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: February 11, 2014 09:28PM

I once heard the "B" cam didn't need no stinkin' valve springs! It is so enormous it SCARES the valves closed.

All Hail the Mighty "B" cam!

Jim

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Posted by: roverman
Date: February 12, 2014 11:00AM

Little known is the fact, that the leader of a secretive musical groupe, from Liverpool, "Desmo and the Dromics", invented the B-cam-Almighty. He is quoted as saying...." valve springs...we doan need no stinkin valve springs", and thusly, in and out was first accomplished, without springs........ roverman exhausted.

quietone
Larry Mimbs
Tennille, Ga.
(93 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: February 12, 2014 01:57PM

Yeah, I used to be a Ducati dealer. What I had in mind was spring requirements changing because of custom cam profiles and lighter than normal components. Small valve stems, hollow stems, titanium valves, beehive springs, titanium retainers, should allow less spring pressure. Current oils certainly favor lower spring rates. I am hoping some of you cam experts can help me come up with a superlative cam design for this eclectic little engine I'm building. Desmo valve gear would be too far out even for me.

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1365 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: February 12, 2014 03:03PM

That's cool Larry.
Ive got an old ST2 that I'll never let go of.
What is this "ecelectic little engine" and what does it need to do?

All hail the mighty "B" cam.

Fred

quietone
Larry Mimbs
Tennille, Ga.
(93 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: February 18, 2014 07:50PM

Well, I've been accumulating parts for about 40 years, and I'm going to build something with them. The original plan was an American BOP 215 TR7. Then I bought a Fiero. [still have the TR7] So, sleeve the block for 305 TRW forged pistons, use sbc small journal h-beam 6" rods, 215 crank, 3/4" alum. girdle, 3.9l TPI manifold with twin throttle bodies, 3.9l heads ported with larger valves, custom roller cam with GM 3.4l roller lifters, GM 3800 front cover and oil pump, twin 996 Porsche turbos, and GM LS type computer. All the parts are in hand, so I have a little machinework to do.

quietone
Larry Mimbs
Tennille, Ga.
(93 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: February 27, 2014 04:47PM

I built some heads today with real springs. Seat pressure 320lbs., open pressure 900 lbs. @ .800 lift! Can't help but believe that could be reduced significantly with titanium components. Valve weight alone drops from 173.8 to 109.0 g. Some guys use more spring pressure when using higher boost turbo setups. Any thoughts on that?

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2463 posts)

02/29/2008 08:29PM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB roadster 260 Ford V8

Posted by: mgb260
Date: February 27, 2014 04:56PM

Larry, Sounds like a race only, roller cam motor. For street I like about 100lbs seat pressure and 300lbs @.500 lift.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2014 08:50PM by mgb260.

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1365 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: February 27, 2014 06:19PM

Holy cow Larry!
Those springs will hold up your whole car.
Nothing in your valvetrain will survive that kind of pressure. In particular the 3.4 hydraulic lifters. They're gonna say adios before the starter stops turning.
The best ported late model heads that I've seen, stall out at 0.480" or so.
So 0.800'' valve lift is just wasted.
Jim is in the ball park with his #s
Re; running boost. There are several schools of thought. Some say crank up the spring pressure to counteract boost.
I'm from another school that say's you could probably get away with less spring pressure under boost.
If you consider that the biggest intake valve that will fit into your heads has an effective area of 2.4 square inches.
Then at 10 lbs of boost you only have an extra 24 lbs of pressure trying to open the valve.
Conversely if we pick a nice round # of 1000 psi for peak cylinder pressure unboosted.
Then multiply that by 0.7 ( 10 psi divided by 1 atmosphere) to account for the boost pressure.
With losses let's call it a 500 psi increase.
That gets you another 1200 lbs trying to close the valve.
It's not really that simple, but you get my point.

All hail the mighty "B" cam
Fred

tomsbad6
Tom Ahlstrom
Michigan
(129 posts)

12/16/2012 03:16PM

Main British Car:
Triumph TR-6 347 Ford

Posted by: tomsbad6
Date: February 28, 2014 07:46AM

there are a lot of factors to consider In Valve springs Hydraulic cams Solid cams run differently roller cams versus flat tappet cams all require different spring pressures one thing to keep in mind are you running it on the street those really high pressure springs 500 to 900 pound open load pressures will destroy parts on the street springs like that will put 4 or 5000 pounds Of download On the camshaft plus it takes a lot of horsepower to turn the camshaft with springs like that the bottom line you need to run the latest spring pressures you can get away with it makes the motor faster and live longer most cam companies just tell you to run heavy springs they don't care how long it lasts they want to sell you more parts plus heavy springs will cover their mistakes in crappy cam lobe design you can buy camshafts cut with very smooth ramp design on the camshaft

I just ordered a new camshaft for my new 347 motor it is solid roller around 600 lift and it will turn over 8000 RPMs duration is 248 256 at 50 the cam is, Street capable With close pressure of 150 pounds open pressure 400 pounds the people at CAM research told me they are constantly working on coming up with better ramp designs on their camshafts that will work with lighter springs

In some things bigger is just not better

There is another factor that comes into play with hydraulic camshafts it takes a certain amount valve spring to compensate for the hydraulic pressure in the lifter to keep it from pumping up mechanical camshafts do not have that problem

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: February 28, 2014 06:32PM

Quote:
What I had in mind was spring requirements changing because of custom cam profiles and lighter than normal components. Small valve stems, hollow stems, titanium valves, beehive springs, titanium retainers, should allow less spring pressure. Current oils certainly favor lower spring rates.

Larry, what happened to your original idea?

quietone
Larry Mimbs
Tennille, Ga.
(93 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: March 01, 2014 09:33AM

Sorry, I neglected to mention these numbers are for a drag only BBC with 2.300" int. and 1.900" ex. valves. Lift is .820". Cam by John Reed. (not my favorite) + 150hp shot of nitrous. My intent was to show the perfect example of ridiculous valve spring setup. I didn't think about someone thinking I would use anything like this. Since I don't like valve springs anyway, smaller is better.

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Posted by: roverman
Date: March 02, 2014 07:33PM

Larry, as others have stated, between the cam grinders tech., and the calculators out there, I suspect an adequate ovate wire/beehive , will prove adequate. Smaller/lighter retainer, with more rocker clearance, reduced harmonics/un-sprung weight, and better gravity oiling, of the spring, are sound reasons, to consider. I'm using a set, on a 540" HR, bbm., so big rates, are available. Cheers, roverman.

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1365 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: March 03, 2014 03:08AM

Good to hear Larry.
I was scared for you.
Cheers
Fred

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.