Calgary, Canada
(222 posts)

11/25/2009 07:18AM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB Rover 4.6L

Low Oil Pressure
Posted by: mstemp
Date: April 04, 2014 11:05AM

Post cam change I now am experiencing low oil pressure at idle. Rover 4.6L motor was only 1000 miles old from the factory when I changed out the cam recently. Same Buick timing cover with D&D Metric base and swivel mount. Items changed were Cam (Crower 50232), Lifters (Crower), Valve springs (D&D), Chain (PG 3132). Heads had valve springs seat cut, two valves guides needed K Line inserts, Bowl blended at seat interface and 3 angle valve job. I added D&D rocker arm reinforcement stands and the shafts were not turned or installed any different than before.

Oil pressure before: Hot idle 20+ psi, 3000 rpm 50+. Now: WARM idle 5 psi, 3000 rpm 45. Thought here?

I am afraid to let it idle now after the cam break in. Is there something that can go amiss in the swivel mount? Anyone using the D&D reinforced rockers? Doing a oil change tomorrow but I doubt it will make much difference as the temps here are still low at 30F (Joe Gibbs BR30 Oil). The motor yesterday was not hot when I idled the car for the first time after the cam break in from a few days ago. Got the thermostat opened and set the timing but shut it down due to the 5 psi! Just cant see oil weight making that much of a difference when I only use 10W40 most times and like I said its still cold here.

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Re: Low Oil Pressure
Posted by: roverman
Date: April 04, 2014 12:10PM

Mike, by chance did you mic/compare cam journal dia's, old vs new cam ? Oil feed groove same size/location ? New lifters same diameter ? Is their oil feed band, on their sides, same size/location ? Which side of cam tunnel, does oil sender, read from ? Good Luck, roverman.

mstemp
Mike Stemp
Calgary, Canada
(222 posts)

Main British Car:
1980 MGB Rover 4.6L

Date: April 04, 2014 12:24PM

Art,

Wow all good questions that I can't answer. Did not mic the journals between the 2 cams. Have to check the lifters if things persist. Not sure how to check the sender location. Here is Carl's location that is the same as mine.
CarlFloyd-D.jpg

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1365 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: April 04, 2014 02:08PM

Like Art said, check your lifters.
They probably gave you the generic Chevy ones that work OK with a stock cam.
Once you go to a higher lift. The oil supply band in the middle of the lifter rises past the edge of the lifter bore and "poof"
all your oil pressure goes away.
You need to make sure that you have the proper Buick style ones.
Its not too hard to check. Just pull the intake and the valley pan and check the edge of the lifter at full lift.
If nothing is found. Then while its apart. Put an air fitting on where your oil pressure gauge hooks up and pressurize the system with air.
Any leaks will become obvious.
Hope that helps.

Cheers
Fred

mstemp
Mike Stemp
Calgary, Canada
(222 posts)

Main British Car:
1980 MGB Rover 4.6L

Date: April 04, 2014 03:29PM

Fred,

Thanks. As these lifters were purchased from D&D I hope that not to be the case. I was finally was able to reach D&D, they figure its the indexing of the swivel adapter position, the gauge or possibly the relief valve has stuck due to some small debris. I re-installed swivel in the same position as before but it's a simple thing to try moving a few mm on way or the other. Up date tomorrow.

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2463 posts)

02/29/2008 08:29PM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB roadster 260 Ford V8

Posted by: mgb260
Date: April 04, 2014 05:10PM

Mike, After cam breakin there is a lot of debris in the filter. Your oil and filter change will likely solve the problem. Looking forward to the performance review.

mstemp
Mike Stemp
Calgary, Canada
(222 posts)

Main British Car:
1980 MGB Rover 4.6L

Date: April 05, 2014 03:41PM

Well all is fine again! Moved the swivel mount 1/4" CC and she had 20 psi when hot at idel. Changed filter and oil after a short drive and a few seconds after the filter was off a 5/8" staked plug few off from it location. PIA to re-stake it with the swivel in place, not sure why it came loose. Looks like it may be used to close off the un-used by pase port in the swivel but not sure. Either way pressure seems fine again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.