Ameliasburg, Ontario, Canada
(32 posts)

01/21/2010 02:51PM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB GT Rover 3.5

delco distributor end float
Posted by: cruiseman
Date: April 10, 2014 02:57PM

On the advice of Glen Towery, I acquired a distributor from a buick 215 and have trial fitted it to my front cover (engine still being assembled) but am concerned about what appears to be a large amount of end float between the distributor bottom and the drive gear. I want to be sure that the gear meets the cam gear in the right position.

I know lots of Delco distributors are being used in Rover engines so hope someone can answer my question. I have looked extensively in past posts but cannot seem to find this answer, maybe it's not something to worry about once the distributor is assembled in the car.

Richard Woodley

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: delco distributor end float
Posted by: Moderator
Date: April 10, 2014 04:34PM

I don't know the answer to your question about end float, but I can tell you that I sent my Delco distributor to Jeff Schlemmer (of Advanced Distributors) several years ago to have it rebuilt, curved, and fitted with a Pertronix Ignitor. That's one way to make sure everything is in good shape.

mstemp
Mike Stemp
Calgary, Canada
(222 posts)

11/25/2009 07:18AM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB Rover 4.6L

Posted by: mstemp
Date: April 10, 2014 05:58PM

What year rover and version of the timing cover are you using? Rover SD1 versions and up will not mesh with the old Buick dizy.

cruiseman
Richard Woodley
Ameliasburg, Ontario, Canada
(32 posts)

01/21/2010 02:51PM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB GT Rover 3.5

Posted by: cruiseman
Date: April 10, 2014 08:22PM

Thanks Mike, good thing I got a Buick 300 front cover when I got the distributor as my current cover is off a SD1. Are the oil pump gears the same length or will they have to be exchanged as well.

The only reason I went for the delco was that the lucus dizzy that came with the car was an early electronic versions that I understand comes with a whole lot of problems. I also have a 35D8 but not sure thats any better than the other one. The delco seemed to be the easiest solution.

mstemp
Mike Stemp
Calgary, Canada
(222 posts)

11/25/2009 07:18AM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB Rover 4.6L

Posted by: mstemp
Date: April 10, 2014 10:37PM

Hears are different between the covers. All depends on the shape of the cover. If it's scored badly you can get a new cover with oil pump that is compatible with the Delco for $100. That's what I did on my 4.6L Rover with a Delco.

joe_padavano
Joseph Padavano
Northern Virginia
(157 posts)

02/15/2010 03:49PM

Main British Car:
1962 F-85 Deluxe wagon 215 Olds

Posted by: joe_padavano
Date: April 11, 2014 10:47AM

If by "end float" you mean excessive up-and-down play in the distributor shaft, this is fairly common in stock Delco distributors. There are shim kits available (Moroso P/N 26140 is one example) that go between the drive gear and the bottom of the distributor housing to take out the play. Simply remove the roll pin holding the gear on the shaft, shim as needed, and reinstall the gear.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.