(7 posts)

08/20/2011 12:57AM

Main British Car:
is a 1967 Volvo Amazon OK? Rover V8 4.0

Volvo 122 with plans for Rover 4.0...Got questions
Posted by: Rolf
Date: September 06, 2014 05:09PM

Hello aluminum V8 aficionados.

My name is Rolf and I live on the US West Coast.

It is finally time to give my Volvo Amazon wagon some attention. I need more
power (don't we all?) and I have thought of everything from a Nissan SR20DET engine to an LS V8.

http://vintageswedishcars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/V8in-Amazon.jpg

Growing up in Sweden there was one car that etched itself in my mind: This Volvo Amazon V8. It was built in 1967 had a warmed up Buick 215 V8. This car is iconic in a million ways but the most important reason it passed thru the stringent Swedish annual test just days before the "we know what is best for you" authorities demanded crash tests for any modified car. In other words: You would have to build 20 cars so the government can smash them in to walls and maybe or maybe not approve it. The result...end of individual creativity. Those were dark days in Sweden.

http://vintageswedishcars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/1967-Volvo-122S-Amazon-Estate-Wagon-rear.jpg

My Volvo is a wagon but I think that makes this project even more interesting.

So…I found this 4.0 out of a 1998 Discovery. The owner was talked in to a diesel conversion by his British friend and Rover tech.
The owner claims it was running just fine when pulled about 6 mo ago and the car had 134K miles on it.

I have decided to just convert to a regular manifold and a carburetor and maybe later possibly a FI throttle body system.

So here we go:

Will the 215 aftermarket carb manifolds fit the 4.0 in the first place?

http://vintageswedishcars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/1967-Volvo-122S-Amazon-Estate-Wagon-rear-engine-tubes.jpg

I assume the tube that goes over the right side valve cover is for the heater, but only one is connected to the engine. (in the manifold)
Where does the other one connect to? It just goes straight down.

Also, the two oil hoses that comes off the off filter housing, where do they go to?

If I wanted to use a regular distributor, do I get a Buick front cover? Is the dizzy run off the cam? I plan to replace cam anyway, just tell me what to do ;-)

I see some folks selling thinner front covers etc and that would be a benefit for the small Volvo. Thoughts?

http://vintageswedishcars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/1967-Volvo-122S-Amazon-Estate-Wagon-V8-pulley.jpg

I would probably want to go to V-belts pulleys.

Note the balancing weight on this pulley.

Do I have to worry about this if I replace this pulley for balance?

Are these engines internally balanced?

What if I add a flywheel? Do I have to worry about balancing?

Any guidance or tips will be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Rolf

nonhog
Brad Bacon

(7 posts)

10/10/2013 03:00PM

Main British Car:
Uh its a Volvo 215 Olds

Re: Volvo 122 with plans for Rover 4.0...Got questions
Posted by: nonhog
Date: November 03, 2014 05:14PM

Wish I could help. I'm considering the same (similar) swap in my 66 Estate.
Ever get any answers/

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: November 03, 2014 06:25PM

Firstly, I'm embarrassed that this thread missed my attention.

I want to welcome you both to BritishV8!!! Old Volvos rock. You couldn't be more welcome here. (Incidentally, I drive an 850 and my wife drives a V50 T5 AWD, but one of these days we hope to get a P1800.)

Also, I'd like to encourage Rolf to re-post his questions spread over several threads with titles related to their respective topics. They will surely get quicker and better responses that way.

quote: "Will the 215 aftermarket carb manifolds fit the 4.0 in the first place?"

Yes, any of the manifolds will bolt to your cylinder heads. No big deal. But you're making a mistake. Carbs are crude. DON'T throw away your EFI parts. Perhaps one day you'll come to your senses. Or sell them. Someone needs them.

Front cover? I used a Buick V6 front cover on my Buick V8, and I don't know any reason why you couldn't make one work on a 4.0. Alternatively, you could make an earlier Rover cover fit. You'll find several cars in our How-It-Was-Done archive that use earlier manifolds with 4.0s to facilitate using a distributor.

Distributor? That's another retrograde change. Distributors are driven off the cam gear, and thus they're effected by lash in the timing chain. Mechanical advance mechanisms stink. Vacuum advance mechanisms stink. That's three strikes and we haven't even gotten to the Lucas factor or how horrible breaker points are.

I'll stop there for now.

Scofflaw Vicky
Todd Grebin
Southwest Virginia
(7 posts)

10/20/2014 09:28AM

Main British Car:
1995 Disco and 1930 Model A 3.9 Rover and 215 Buick respectively

Posted by: Scofflaw Vicky
Date: November 04, 2014 09:23AM

Hello Rolf

Just taking apart a 3.9 rover with EFI, so I still remeber where most of those hoses go. lower radiator hose has two extra heater hose size tees in it that is whee the one goes straight done belongs. Oil hoses go to internal radiator cooler on passenger side.

I agree with Curtis on keeping the EFI, see if you can get the engine ECU out of the Rover also, not sure how much of it they could use on a diesel anyway.

As for distributor and cover better to keep what you have or go with 3.9 cover, as it has better crank driven oilpump than the Buick cam driven pumps so I hear.

Good luck with your car, looks great, Todd.

BMC
Brian Mc Cullough
Forest Lake, Minnesota, USA
(383 posts)

10/30/2007 02:27AM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB '95 3.4L 'L32' SFI V6, GM V6T5 & 3.42 Limi

authors avatar
Posted by: BMC
Date: November 11, 2014 08:25PM

You asked for thoughts right?

First, I better remember that taking my thoughts out about Gov't on this forum is pretty much a no no but you can guess what I think by that much. :-)

That said, The 122 is a fantastic car. Hopefully you will not mind the take I give on the Volvo, but it is essentially the best of German and British technology wrapped up in a Fantastic Swedish wrapper. I don't have much to add at this point but I am interested in watching the progress as you put it out.

Keep us post!

-BMC.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.