St Thomas Ontario
(221 posts)

01/27/2013 06:47PM

Main British Car:
1954 Triumph TR2 stock 2 litre

w 58 toyota transmission noise
Posted by: tbo
Date: September 10, 2014 09:00PM

A friend of mine put a w 58 toyota transmission in his 59 Austin Healey 3000 using the Hdva kit. He had the tranny rebuilt before hand and it went in with no problems.Since day one the tranny has a high pitched whistling noist in fourth and fifth gears at around 2800 to 3000 rpm.If you slow down or speed up it goes away. Ths shop that rebuilt it doesn;t know what the noise could be .No one seems to know.Are there any old Toyota service bulletins available that might mention this noise and what to do about it? Also does any body here have an idea or opiion Thanks Tim

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1365 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Re: w 58 toyota transmission noise
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: September 11, 2014 01:39PM

Tim,

That's an odd one for sure.
Generally a noisy trans will calm down in 4th gear as it's "straight through" and doesn't actually employ any gears.
Are you sure it's the trans? Is it the same engine rpm in both gears? (you must be moving @ 3 grand in 5th!)
As a WAG I would have a look at the diffy pinion bearings.

Cheers
Fred

tbo
Tim Body
St Thomas Ontario
(221 posts)

01/27/2013 06:47PM

Main British Car:
1954 Triumph TR2 stock 2 litre

Re: w 58 toyota transmission noise
Posted by: tbo
Date: September 11, 2014 08:01PM

Hi FredMy nephew a retired mechanic said the same thing. Its running strait thru no pressureon it. My mechanic said maybe a synchro is floating and vibrating because it has no pressureon it,which is why it goes away if you slow down or speed up, He didn't have the noise when he had the old stock tranny in it , so I don;t know about the pinion.I'm going to call a Toyota dealer and ask about bullitins ,if they go back that far.Thanks Fred

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.