Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Black P-38
Mike Caldwell
Kentucky
(51 posts)

09/18/2008 12:56AM

Main British Car:
None Squirrel Cage & 2 Squirrel

Which ECU's will run a 1998 4.6 Range Rover engine?
Posted by: Black P-38
Date: September 22, 2008 09:34AM

Hello all,

Well I have taken the leap from the 215, (for my V-8 swap project), to a '98 Range Rover 4.6.

Now I need to know which ECU's can be used to operate the EFI etc. Does this motor still use a distributor?
I just bought it and will be taking delivery in about a week, It's a recycler with 82,000 miles and still in the vehicle.

Any input will be greatly appreciated, THANK YOU!!!
Mike

4.6 MGB V8
Matt T
New York
(31 posts)

12/07/2007 04:13PM

Main British Car:

Re: Which ECU's will run a 1998 4.6 Range Rover engine?
Posted by: 4.6 MGB V8
Date: September 22, 2008 05:01PM

Mike I’m no expert when it comes to fuel injection or computer controlled anything so if I’m wrong someone please correct me. I think both the GEMS and Thor engine management systems for the 4.6 are pretty complex and there are a few areas that make them a bit tricky for conversions.
First off the factory 4.6 wasn’t set up to run a distributor. Instead the computer uses a crankshaft position sensor that is triggered off of the flywheel or flexplate to generate timing information. You can adapt the sensor to run on other types of transmissions but it requires finding the right crank trigger and machining the flywheel to accept it. If you want to run a distributor you can change the front cover to an earlier intermediate type that accepts any compatible distributor.
I think the choice of ECU is also a bit complicated. The later Rover ECU’s have some pretty robust security features that make them hard to use them in any vehicle other than the ones they originally came in. There is a British company (Tornado) selling unlocked and re-chipped ECU’s but they are going for about 800 pounds ($1600). You may be able to get a Megasquirt ECU to work but that’s not the most straightforward proposition either, because the Megasquirt uses a MAP sensor and the Rover uses a MAF sensor to calculate airflow. I also don’t think the current generation of Megasquirt ECU’s can run sequential multi-port injection so you are talking about disconnecting your camshaft position sensor and running the FI as a batch fire setup.
If you are going to run the FI as a batch fire set up then you may want to use an earlier Rover hotwire ECU. This should work with most of the later Rover FI equipment, but does require you to eliminate the crank sensor and run a distributor set up. There are a few good articles in the newsletter about the hotwire systems and I’m sure someone else could tell you about their advantages better than me.
There don’t seem to be too many people doing the 4.6 so keep us posted on what decisions you make and how you are approaching it.
Good luck with the conversion.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: September 22, 2008 07:23PM

The Megasquirt (MS) is worth looking into. In practical terms the only concrete advantage of sequential is finer control of emissions at idle. In terms of performance and economy there is no real advantage with either system. The MAP sensor requires merely a vacuum line to the controller, not a difficult thing to hook up. What you do with the MAF is up to you, it isn't needed. (Although I understand MS will now run hotwire if you prefer to keep it.) Cost for the assembled controller and harness is around $300. It can use the stock sensors and actuators.

Fitting a crank trigger is not particularly difficult either. The Ford EDIS ignition can be adapted to the engine without great difficulty and not only takes the place of the distributor but also provides the trigger to the MS and accepts advance signals from it. Various methods of mounting the VR trigger to the crank damper have been used. I prefer to buy a trigger wheel for the 4.6L Modular engine from the Ford dealer for about $20 and adapt it to the back of the damper by boring out the center hole to fit and tack welding it into place in four equally spaced spots so as not to disturb the engine balance. The sensor can then be mounted to the front cover bolts using suitable bracketry made for the purpose. 1/2" conduit fits the nose of the sensor nicely, especially with the o-ring in place and the conduit is easily brazed to a mounting bracket.

I do not see why anyone would want to go back to a points type distributor when the EDIS is so easy to adapt to practically any engine.

Finally, tuning with the MS is easy because it is open source and some excellent tuning software has been written for it. It is very adaptable and flexible and in fact is capable of running any engine with little more than a tach signal and vacuum hose hooked up. Best of all, tuning changes can be made from the driver's seat to correct mixture and advance at any point in the operating envelope. With two fingers on the laptop and looking at the road, you can dial in the fuel or advance map to a high degree of accuracy. It has many other features as well but like I said, it's worth looking at.

Jim

Black P-38
Mike Caldwell
Kentucky
(51 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: September 23, 2008 01:58AM

WOW!!! Thank you guys for your prompt and thorough responses. I'm unsure at this point how I should proceed. I did not consider the possibility of security features potentially disabling the factory operating system(s) so I'm glad you brought that up.
I spoke with the Recycler today and he offered me the engine harness and ECU which I THOUGHT would make the swap go more smoothly but it sounds as though I'd have been beating my head against a brick wall when it came time to light her off.

I DO have a 14CUX ECU I had acquired in hopes of converting my Buick 215 to EFI, along with intake and plenum from a 3.9, a set of green top injectors, fuel rail and FPR, etc. Emissions testing would be my only future concern regarding conversion to an earlier timing cover and distributor depending on how that would be viewed by the governing agency.

Of course it sounds like the MS would provide the best overall results with the least difficulty in initial set-up as well as the advantage of tuneability and cost. As long as the MS, when properly adapted, is an acceptable operating system in the eyes of emissions officials I think it would be the prefered solution in my case.

I certainly appreciate the value of all your personal experience. Reading up on articles here on EFI conversions by Glenn and Jim
brought me to the conclusion that EFI for my 215 was not only possible but practical so it follows that the 4.6 project should be possible and practical as well. Now that I will be taking delivery of the 4.6 I believe I am commited to finding a way.

Time for me to research the MS system.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
Mike

4.6 MGB V8
Matt T
New York
(31 posts)

12/07/2007 04:13PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: 4.6 MGB V8
Date: September 26, 2008 02:47PM

Jim, can the MS run the EDIS and the FI, or do you need to add the Mega Jolt to run the ignition?

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: September 26, 2008 07:58PM

It will do both. It is also capable of direct firing a coil if you'd rather do it that way but needs an extra board to run distributorless or COP. The EDIS, as a standalone ignition only needs an advance signal, which the MS can easily provide.

Jim

Black P-38
Mike Caldwell
Kentucky
(51 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: September 26, 2008 11:08PM

I have looked into the MS and spoken with a local tuner/custom builder and have decided to go with the MS system. He showed me his latest install on a Supra powered by a Vortec blown 5.0 / T-5 combo and had good feedback on the install and tuning.

Having support for the product both web based and locally is as important to me as the affordability factor. He answered alot of my questions and I'm sure it is well within my capabilities to install the system and get it running. I will leave the finer points of the tune to him.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction and of course I'll keep you updated as to my experiences.

Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.