Houston
(43 posts)

01/10/2014 11:28AM

Main British Car:
1968 Spitfire GT6 BOP 215 / Rover of some lineage

Re: Low profile oil pan for Rover V8
Posted by: GT8MX
Date: March 05, 2015 09:47AM

rkas3882 said: "why dont you modify the front cover and get rid of the oil filter at that location? with some cutting and tig welding you should be able to have some fittings in the oil galley for a remote filter...."

I don't want to extend the frame (and the hood) by any more than I have to for aesthetic reasons (I think making the hood too long would screw up the proportions). I envision I could extend the frame 4" (moving the suspension as far forward as possible until it interferes with the oil filter mount) without screwing up the proportions too much. I would have to extend the frame 11" before the steering rack clears the crank pulley and is in front of the engine, but that would be ugly (hood too long), and I don't see that I gain anything towards making the steering rack clear the engine by extending the frame move than 4" and less than 11", except reduce the amount I would need to extend the steering arms on the uprights if I mounted the steering rack in front of the engine, and that would reduce negative effects on steering feel and twitchiness.

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1365 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: March 05, 2015 09:13PM

Bill,

What about moving the rack rearward slightly and down?
I don't have a spit here to check but it looks like you have room for the tie rod to pass between the lower control arm mount and the spring mount.Build a pass through into the frame for the rack and away you go
If you want to retain the forward/aft mounting of the rack. Then modify the front leg of the lower control arm so that it mounts further forward. Then drop the rack straight down.
Looking at it from here (Far away ;-) ) it should be easy.

Live like you mean it
Fred

RDMG
Dave R
Northern Virginia
(138 posts)

04/07/2016 08:29PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB 4.6L Rover V8

Posted by: RDMG
Date: June 21, 2016 12:17PM

Hi Bill,

I'm wondering what you decided to do with your oil sump on your GT6? If you modified the existing cast aluminum piece, do you have any design elements or photos you could share?

I'm facing a similar issue. I can either retrofit a shopping cart full of distributor-spec pieces onto my 4.6 to enable use of an earlier oil pan, or I can learn to TIG weld and mod the cast one that I've already got.

I'm pretty confident in my ability to cut the sump neatly into pieces, and to fabricate new parts from aluminum stock, but I'm not 100% on how to arrange the trap doors or other internal features.

Dave

Gunner1
Al Gunnarson

(3 posts)

07/04/2016 11:07AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: Gunner1
Date: July 04, 2016 11:25AM

Hi,

Good to see this thread is still active. I am a new member to the forum, but have successfully installed a 3.5 Rover (ex SD1) into my 72 Gt6 (and managed to get the hood closed....many tricks to getting that done)

I have been running it for the past three years. for "proof of life" cut and past attached vid into your browser) [www.youtube.com] or google GT8 Video 001..

The swap was done with at 2 barrel Rochester and a significantly modified drop down air cleaner but in search of more hp, I am now putting a 500 Edelbrock onto it with a fresh air intake . Problem....hood won't close now and I don't want to cut the hood.
I have dropped the steering rack as far as I can go, but rack still interferes with the sump. I am within 1/4 inch of success.

How much could I notch the front of the sump.I see you 4.6 guys can use the SD1 sump and the throw is .4 inch, implying I should be able to cut the 1/4 inch out if there is any clearance with yours at all.

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1365 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 11, 2016 03:12PM

Have you tried the original 215 4BBL intake manifold Al?
It's significantly lower than most of the aftermarket ones.
If you can find an old Offy "dual port" manifold, they are even lower.
Might not need to re engineer anything.

Cheers
Fred

Gunner1
Al Gunnarson

(3 posts)

07/04/2016 11:07AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: Gunner1
Date: July 13, 2016 11:51AM

Hi Fred,

Yes, I am using the original 215 4 bbl intake and Edelbrock 500, which I understood was the lowest combination. I was not aware the Offy was lower. I had the carb base planed on the manifold .120 which is the max I could take off of it without fear of hitting the water jacket. I am also using the Spectre 98499 Low profile Plenum, which I have lowered a further .250.

I have almost finished lowering the steering rack .300. and that should just about do it. I am hoping that I don't have to cut the pan in the end. It is sooo close.

I see you live here on the west coast. Anywhere near Victoria, which is where I live.

Al

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1365 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 18, 2016 04:50PM

Sadly I'm in Abbotsford. Would love to be on the Island.
My father in law lives on the water near Parksville so we do get over often.

Cheers
Fred

mercmad
Ron Bunting

(14 posts)

06/27/2019 01:34AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: mercmad
Date: July 04, 2019 08:38PM

"Re: Low profile oil pan for Rover V8
new
Posted by: GT8MX
Date: January 28, 2015 08:55AM

Jukka:

I am intrigued by a Minor with a Rover V8. What a neat idea! Do you have a blog? I'd like to see more.

Thx,

Bill..."
i was born in New Zealand (quite some time ago) and being a typical Kiwi rev head i knew a lot of fellow road burners. One was a chap by the name of Bernard O'Brien who had a very nice minor powered with a 215 Buick. Another was mate who had a very clean Rover 3.5 coupe,which he pulled the engine from and put it in a low light Minor .Both were very fast cars which handled well.
But years before that,when i was about to leave school,i was working in the evenings at a body shop,where the owners cousin had transplanted a Ford V8 into a MO Morris oxford,which is like a bigger minor. The engine was Sidevalve (!!) and because the morris steering rack was against the firewall ,like the minor , the engines water pumps were over the front bumper. Ahemm!.

minorv8
Jukka Harkola

(268 posts)

04/08/2009 06:50AM

Main British Car:
Morris Minor Rover V8

Posted by: minorv8
Date: July 11, 2019 01:06AM

Ron, try this: [www.geocities.ws]

It is my old page and outdated. But it gives you an idea how I did it 20 years ago. Since then mechanicals have been updated many times.

mercmad
Ron Bunting

(14 posts)

06/27/2019 01:34AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: mercmad
Date: July 11, 2019 08:38AM

Nice! it sounds like Finland has the same type of anti modification bureaucrats that Australia has.
Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.