nelson
David Canning
Bedfordshire, UK
(3 posts)

03/09/2015 11:54AM

Main British Car:
1966 MGB Roadster 4.6L Rover V8

authors avatar
Rover V8 dipstick help please! - now solved.
Posted by: nelson
Date: March 10, 2015 05:30PM

Hi, I have a dipstick with several inches missing off the end which means I can't judge the oil level properly and therefore need to replace it. The only problem is I don't know which one I need!

In the photo below you can see the top of the dipstick tube with the dipstick pulled up a little way for clarity.

If anyone has this type of dipstick tube (it's approx 20cm from the top of the tube down to the block) would you mind giving me the dimensions of your dipstick please? I need the distance from low/min mark to underside of the dipstick cap and also the full/max mark to the underside of the dipstick cap.

Other suggestions welcome.

Many thanks,

David.

Dipstick.JPG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2015 02:06PM by nelson.

nelson
David Canning
Bedfordshire, UK
(3 posts)

03/09/2015 11:54AM

Main British Car:
1966 MGB Roadster 4.6L Rover V8

authors avatar
Re: Rover V8 dipstick help please!
Posted by: nelson
Date: March 12, 2015 02:05PM

Problem solved!

After a lot of searching via google images I found a picture of my dipstick tube together with a code - ERC2690. More googling with the code led me to a Land Rover spares dealer here in the UK. I gave them a call yesterday and they sold me the matching dipstick - ERC4558. £17 including next day delivery.

Today, having put in what I thought was the correct amount of oil, I've tried the dipstick and it reads just above the high mark. Once I've run the engine and the filter fills completely that should see it on the mark. Very pleased.

For the benefit of other users who may encounter this problem in the future the dimensions are as follows:

Dipstick tube: overall length 37cm, top of tube to stop flange 20cm, stop flange to bottom end 17cm.

Dipstick: overall length from top of cap to:- bottom end 53.5cm; low mark 51.5cm, high mark 48.5cm.

Regards,

David.

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Rover V8 dipstick help please! - now solved.
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: March 12, 2015 03:00PM

Thanks for the update & measurements, David!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.