DragNut
Mark Jurgensen

(41 posts)

04/07/2015 04:47AM

Main British Car:

5 Speed Tranny
Posted by: DragNut
Date: April 17, 2015 04:25PM

I have an Olds 215 and Im going to be installing it into a 1977 MGB,I want to also run a 5 speed trans. (T5) I was looking for some advice on on what bellhousing and clutch parts to use that will all match and bolt up to the 215...and also what axle to use and gear ratio would be best.... want to get the right combo the first time.. :)

bsa_m21
Martin Rothman
Vancouver, Canada
(216 posts)

01/06/2009 11:41AM

Main British Car:
1980 TR7V8 Rover 3.9L

authors avatar
Re: 5 Speed Tranny
Posted by: bsa_m21
Date: April 17, 2015 04:31PM

Everything you need is available here:

[aluminumv8.com]

M.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: 5 Speed Tranny
Posted by: Moderator
Date: April 18, 2015 01:25PM

"and also what axle to use and gear ratio would be best.... want to get the right combo the first time.. "

Your stock axle has a gear ratio of 3.909:1. For all-around use in my Buick 215-powered MGB, I prefer 3.27:1 gears. Depending on transmission gear ratios, camshaft choice, personal taste, and even tire size, a different gear ratio might suit you much better. If I were doing more autocrosses and track days, I might have preferred a ratio around ~3.4:1. Maybe.

IMHO there's something to be said for doing your engine swap first, getting your car running well, enjoying it for awhile, and then coming back later to swap axles. You'll better appreciate how you're going to enjoy your car, and thus which axle ratio will suit you better. (That's a better outcome than doing an axle swap, and then deciding you chose the wrong gear ratio.) Downside: you'll have to make two trips to a local driveshaft shop... but that's not too expensive.

I chose a Ford 8.8 axle. It hasn't really given me any problems, but I regret the choice because IMHO it's way too heavy. A lighter axle would give better ride. I plan to swap to a Ford 8" and at the same time upgrade to rear disc brakes and coilovers. Should be a big weight reduction.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.