Alaska
(62 posts)

04/20/2015 10:32PM

Main British Car:
1974, MGB, Citroen Color Rover V8

Toyota 8"
Posted by: Nexxussian
Date: April 21, 2015 04:49PM

I see many threads on the various axles including the 8", 8.8" and 9" Ford, as well as the GM 7.5"- 7.625" (amongst others).

However I have yet to see the so called 8" Toyota mentioned.

It's what the Legends cars and some Dwarf cars use (so parts are available) I've even seen companies that make reinforced housings for the off road folks.

I have one (amongst others I have) that is mostly compete, if I recall correctly it has the 3.30 gear set in it (which seems to fall in the correct range for a MGB v8 with a Rover).

Is there some specific reason any of you know of as to why they seem less popular? (not strong enough somehow, perhaps ?)

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2461 posts)

02/29/2008 08:29PM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB roadster 260 Ford V8

Re: Toyota 8"
Posted by: mgb260
Date: April 21, 2015 11:18PM

Erik, It is a nice strong rear axle. A few problems though. You can't shorten the stock axles to fit a MGB because they taper down behind the splines. Legend cars shorten where the axle diameter goes up again. They also are only in 4x4's and are low geared. You probably have a 2wd 7.5 Toyota rear that's 3.31. It would actually be a better choice for a few reasons. 5 lug Ford pattern instead of 6 bolt Chevy truck/Toyota 4x4. The 79- 84 2wd truck rear is the same width as the 83-92 2wd S10 rear at 54", that is only 2" wider than stock MGB. Flared fenders would probably work fine. Search on here and Mgexperience for 5 lug front conversion.

Nexxussian
Erik Johnson
Alaska
(62 posts)

04/20/2015 10:32PM

Main British Car:
1974, MGB, Citroen Color Rover V8

Re: Toyota 8"
Posted by: Nexxussian
Date: April 21, 2015 11:30PM

Thank you Jim. :)

I was planning on aftermarket axle shafts whichever way I went, my experience with the Legends Cars was long enough ago that 600 Racing was just transitioning to an aftermarket "one piece" shaft (earlier were cut, shortened and welded back together with a "fish plate" type of reinforcement).

I only know they were called 8 inch by everyone besides 600 Racing.

While I have been considering the 5 lug conversion, I believe my Toyota axle is old enough it's 4 lug.

Won't matter if I get new shafts. :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.