Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Knobhead
Nicholas Henderson
Perth Western Australia
(2 posts)

05/04/2015 01:56AM

Main British Car:
Triumph Stag 1975 , TR6 1970, replica G Force Cobr Stag 1UZ-FE, TR6 1UZ-FE, Cobra Chrysler 360CI V8,7

LT77 constant pinion input shaft lengths and availability
Posted by: Knobhead
Date: May 05, 2015 12:26AM

Hi crew I'm new to this site and it looks good. I finished my conversion of the Toyota 1UZ-FE quad cam into a Stag a couple of years ago and it's great to drive a car now that is reliable, no breakdowns and best of all doesn't overheat in Aussie conditions. My new project is fitting another 1UZ-FE engine into myTR6. These motors are bulletproof for highway use and also great for racing. Standard motor with an aftermarket ECU will rev up to 9000, and modified, blown etc. can give up to 1375 HP. They have used these motors in small jet boats and dragsters in Aussie.
Back to my question about the LT 77 gearbox, Iv'e acquired a TR7. LT77 5 speed box but the input shaft is 30mm to short.I am using a Triumph 6cylinder 5 speed bell housing with adaptor plate to the quad cam for fitment in car without any butchery committed as the Stag was done, no bonnet bumps or firewall chopping,I don't butcher Pommie Classics but I am guilty of powering them with better modern engines. Will the input shafts of the updated R380 box fit straight into the old LT77 or are they different? Iv'e read there was some changes but not sure If constant pinion shafts changed other than the lengths for different vehicles. I just thought some of you guys may know. The required OVERALL length from back of bearing cone to spigot tip is 282mm or 11 1/8 " ie the same as the original TR7 shaft but 30. mm longer. A 12 mm or 7/8" spigot diameter is ok. Iv'e been to Rimmers they were no help, I couldn't give them a model, or part no , and they didn't measure shaft lengths in stock. I guess Ashcrofts are the next people other than you guys.

Cheers Knobhead Down. Under

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Re: LT77 constant pinion input shaft lengths and availability
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: May 05, 2015 08:21AM

That's a tough one. Can't help on the input shaft, obviously that would be the most elegant solution. That or the right length bellhousing. 30mm is likely a bit long to just install an extended pilot bearing (first choice) because you will likely run out of spline for the clutch to ride on. (but if not, a great easy fix) Spacing the flywheel back is a viable solution but requires something special at the starter. Possibly a flex-plate for the ring gear and a spacer for the flywheel.

Jim

Knobhead
Nicholas Henderson
Perth Western Australia
(2 posts)

05/04/2015 01:56AM

Main British Car:
Triumph Stag 1975 , TR6 1970, replica G Force Cobr Stag 1UZ-FE, TR6 1UZ-FE, Cobra Chrysler 360CI V8,7

Posted by: Knobhead
Date: May 05, 2015 11:41PM

Cheers Jim, I just received an email back from Dave Ashcroft the UK experts and there is no input shaft available at 30mm longer other than thr TR8 shaft but it still is only 6mm longer than the TR7 shaft. I also have access to the TR8 shaft 6mm longer but I will still run out of spline length if I use a spigot extension with this shaft. The later version of 5 speed box for Range Rovers etc. was an upgraded version of the LT77 box the R380 in 1995 and the longer input shafts they built for the R380 fitted to different vehicle applications don't fit the old LT77 box. Back to what I thought yesterday. The bell housing is the correct one originally built by British Leyland # V3321 for the LT77 5 speed to bolt directly to the original 6 cylinder 2.5 litre engine as used in several cars as the 2500 PI,TR6 etc.
I may have to ditch the 25mm spacer between the adaptor plate and bell housing originally built by Stanpart for different applications to marry up different bells , gearboxes and engines for Triumph cars as the Sprint etc. the gearbox and bell housing bolt pattern for Standard motor co. later British Leyland didn't change for around 39 years. The spacer just makes the fitment to body a better proposition rather than moving motor forward. Things are tight as they are or will be now. I have a dummy block and heads etc. for fitting into TR6 to make sure the real one will fit.
Cheers and thanks for your input. Knobhead or Nick H.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: May 06, 2015 09:01AM

Nick, on the 700r4/SBB adapter many of the bolts matched up so they were able to get by with a 1/8" thick plate for the adapter.

On IHC engines it was common to find a 2" thick spacer between the crankshaft and flywheel, though thinner ones were also used, so any combination from 1/2" up was possible.

Use of a flexplate for the starter ring gear and then a flywheel for the clutch is acceptable, provided the assembly runs true and is reasonably well balanced. It's really nothing special.

With that and an extended pilot bearing you should be there. Seems to me the cheapest and simplest fix.

Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.