Brownwood
Keith Montague

(176 posts)

01/25/2014 08:08PM

Main British Car:

5.0 Ford Harmonic Balancer Spacer?
Posted by: Brownwood
Date: May 13, 2015 09:51AM

Well, after only 6 months on the road and less than 500 miles, I spun a rod bearing on my 5.0 Ford. I am currently researching crate motors.

As I get read to pull the old motor, i want to change some stuff that I could have done better. One thing I noticed is that I could lower my motor almost 1/2 inch if I could just space the harmonic balancer out about 1/8 inch for steering linkage clearance. Is that something that is possible or am I just asking for trouble?

kstevusa
kelly stevenson
Southern Middle Tennessee
(985 posts)

10/25/2007 09:37AM

Main British Car:
2003 Jaguar XK8 Coupe 4.2L DOHC/ VVT / 6sp. AT

authors avatar
Re: 5.0 Ford Harmonic Balancer Spacer?
Posted by: kstevusa
Date: May 13, 2015 02:21PM

Yes on the spacer. We fabbed a 1/4" spacer to fit over the crank snout and used the Exploer damper along with T/C and W/P. they were considerably shorter. The std. damper, t/c and w/p were too long for my install. No room for fan. The damper now fits forward and above the rack and plus after the caster kit was installed, the rack is down more. Glad you discovered your problem, but sad for time and effort to locate. Onward and upward!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2015 03:31PM by kstevusa.

Brownwood
Keith Montague

(176 posts)

01/25/2014 08:08PM

Main British Car:

Re: 5.0 Ford Harmonic Balancer Spacer?
Posted by: Brownwood
Date: May 13, 2015 02:44PM

Amen my brotha! I shouldn't have tried to go cheap but I guess i could call it a $1000 dollar trial fitting along with some brief but fun driving!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.