feed_me
steve bridge

(3 posts)

07/14/2015 08:17PM

Main British Car:

LT77 End play
Posted by: feed_me
Date: July 24, 2015 09:02AM

Once read an article about setting the end play of a LT77 and thought I Bookmarked it, but I guess I didn't. The article claimed excessive end play killed many a LT77. Thought while I have the car apart, I would set it up, but I can't find the article again. It's nice that T5's are so adaptable, but I will wait for the LT77 to go bad before I spend money and time replacing it.

feed_me
steve bridge

(3 posts)

07/14/2015 08:17PM

Main British Car:

Re: LT77 End play
Posted by: feed_me
Date: July 24, 2015 08:02PM

Found it, it was: Page 61 of "How to Give Your MGB V8 Power"
By Roger Williams

tr8todd
Todd Kishbach

(390 posts)

12/04/2009 07:42AM

Main British Car:

Re: LT77 End play
Posted by: tr8todd
Date: July 25, 2015 06:22AM

End play is bad on these things. Real common for that front bearing to overheat and seize onto the shaft. Most common on long highway trips. Seen it happen half a dozen times on cars that are somewhere around 100 miles from home. My guess is that over time fluid leaks out and you get a low. The front bearing doesn't see enough fluid and overheats. Could also be a pump going bad. I've heard it described as driving along when the car starts to feel down on power. Pull over and then it seizes solid. Replaced a gear box that did that in my buddies TR8 a couple of summers ago. Same thing has happened on 2 of my Dad's SD1s.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.