Portland, OR
(129 posts)

08/01/2015 12:55PM

Main British Car:
1969 MGB GM 3.4L V6

New HTOB problem
Posted by: limey222
Date: August 16, 2015 11:21PM

Part of my 94 GM 3.4 & T-5 conversion involved an HTOB. I was little apprehensive but was convince that it would be no problem. I followed the installation instruction perfectly and when I bleed the system I got a good firm pedal movement with no sponginess.
I was finally in position today to actually start the car and select reverse gear to put the car back into my garage. I selected reverse with some difficult and with the clutch in I started the engine. It was immediately apparent that the clutch was not working correctly, it was not disengaged even when the pedal was all the way to the floor. I turned the motor off. Worse still the car was stuck in reverse and the gear shift was locked up solid. I had previously been able select all gear 1 thru 4 and reverse without the engine running, at the same time I was not able to fully select 5th.

I had to jack up the rear of the car and turn one of the wheels until I heard a click and I was able to get the transmission back into neutral. BTW, the transmission has been overalled, new bearings, seals and selectors etc.

Any idea what the problem might be? no sign fluid leaking from the bell housing which might indicate a bad seal on the HTOB.

limey222
Michael Cubbon
Portland, OR
(129 posts)

Main British Car:
1969 MGB GM 3.4L V6

Re: New HTOB problem
Date: August 17, 2015 03:46PM

Can anyone help?

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1365 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: August 17, 2015 05:15PM

Do you have an opening in the bellhousing that would allow you to see the HTOB?

limey222
Michael Cubbon
Portland, OR
(129 posts)

Main British Car:
1969 MGB GM 3.4L V6

Date: August 17, 2015 09:52PM

That's my next action. I made an aluminum plate to cover the opening where the original lever arm entered the bell housing. It has two grommeted holes that the hydraulic pressure line and bleed lines pass through. I can remove the retaining screws and slide it along the hoses so that I can use my LED endoscope to see what's going on.

Would a partially engaged clutch prevent me from selecting some of the gears when the engine is not running...or do I have another problem as well?
I have a horrible sinking feeling that its going to end up with the engine and transmission coming back out which because of my schedule will set me back months. When I had the transmission overalled it didn't have a shifter installed because I was still waiting on the modified one coming from Brian at BMCAutos.

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1365 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: August 17, 2015 10:15PM

Unless everything is lined up perfectly. You will have trouble shifting with the engine off and the clutch engaged.
Try jacking the rear wheels clear of the ground and shift through the gears without the bind in the driveline.
I think that you will find that it shifts just fine.
If the pedal feels good. And that means every time that you step on it. Without having to pump it.
Then it's likely bled OK.
There are two faults that I'm leaning towards.
The first and most likely is that the master cyl is too small. It doesn't move enough fluid to extend the HTOB enough to disengage the clutch. That's why you want to look into the bellhousing. The HTOB should be able to move the clutch fingers roughly 1/2" or better.
The second is a bent clutch disc. This happens when the trans is left to hang on the clutch while the trans bolts are being done up.
Seen lots of pro's that know better do that one.
Another less likely but very possible fault, due to the parts mix. Would be an input shaft that is too long.
It would bind on the pilot bearing and cause a heavy clutch drag.
If it's just the master cyl then the fix is easy. If not, then yep. You're probably pulling it out.

Cheers
Fred

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1365 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: August 24, 2015 03:15PM

Did you manage to get a look inside yet?

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2463 posts)

02/29/2008 08:29PM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB roadster 260 Ford V8

Posted by: mgb260
Date: August 24, 2015 04:46PM

Some GM V6 T5's have a little longer input and there are inferior fitting pilot bushings also.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.