Brownwood
Keith Montague

(176 posts)

01/25/2014 08:08PM

Main British Car:

Electric Fuel Pump Issue
Posted by: Brownwood
Date: February 20, 2016 05:04PM

We have had some great weather here in Texas so I have been driving the MGB V8 every day at lunch. I am having a strange fuel pump issue. I have a red Holley street electric fuel pump mounted back near my gas tank with 3/8 lines throughout. It works great when I first start driving but after the car warms up and I drive for 10 minutes or so, the pump output slows to a trickle. The car still runs but it has no high speed performance because of fuel starvation. The next day, same thing all over again, lots of fuel at first then slows to a trickle.

I haven't torn into the fuel system yet but this just seems odd and I wondered if anyone has had a similar problem?

HealeyRick
Rick Neville

(489 posts)

12/19/2007 05:01PM

Main British Car:
1963 Austin-Healey 3000 Ford 5.0L

authors avatar
Re: Electric Fuel Pump Issue
Posted by: HealeyRick
Date: February 20, 2016 08:34PM

Try it without the fuel cap on first, maybe something as simple a a clogged cap vent.

joe_padavano
Joseph Padavano
Northern Virginia
(156 posts)

02/15/2010 03:49PM

Main British Car:
1962 F-85 Deluxe wagon 215 Olds

Posted by: joe_padavano
Date: February 21, 2016 10:48AM

Either it's a plugged vent as suggested above or the inlet sock in the tank is collecting crud as fuel flows through it, clogging it. Once you shut the pump off, the crud drops to the bottom of the tank and the cycle starts again.

Brownwood
Keith Montague

(176 posts)

01/25/2014 08:08PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: Brownwood
Date: February 21, 2016 03:31PM

Thanks Guys. Ill start with the plugged vent idea and work from there. I did pull the gas tank filler cap and there was a big woosh of suction being released, so I thought it must be the plugged vent but even with the gas cap removed the pump continued to not pump much fuel.

Justinb
Justin Broome

(26 posts)

06/10/2009 12:33PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: Justinb
Date: February 23, 2016 08:00PM

My vote is for the plugged pickup in the tank. I had the same problem but with an efi system and it ended up being the pickup.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.