Brownwood
Keith Montague

(176 posts)

01/25/2014 08:08PM

Main British Car:

MGB rear brake line
Posted by: Brownwood
Date: April 07, 2016 06:20PM

Due to a heavy winter work schedule, I am just now getting to my winter project of getting my S10 rear end under my MGB V8. To make this as painless as possible, i want to sort out the fittings needed to adapt the MGBs brake lines to the S10 drum brake cylinder. Does anyone have an old brake line from a rubber bumper B that still has the fitting to the stock MGB brake cylinder? I would gladly purchase it from you so I can get my brake line set up done on the bench before I pout the rear under the car.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Re: MGB rear brake line
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: April 08, 2016 10:32AM

Keith, I'm guessing you have a new brake line on the car and want the old one for set-up. But most of those old hoses get tossed out soon as they come off. Maybe you will get lucky though.

But let's see, MG uses inverted flares, which Advance auto now carries in it's hard brake line assortment, other stores do too. Your rear flex hose goes from a bracket on the battery box to a bracket on the axle housing. Both ends of the hose are a female bubble flare and take a standard British hard line. If memory serves, both ends are secured in an 8 point star shaped hole in the bracket with a retainer clip or big nut, although it's just as likely the axle end is bolted on. So if you like you can simply form a bubble flare on the end of the line on the axle that runs to the brake hose and use the MG hose. That would seem the simplest solution and avoids the need for a custom hose. You will have to form the flare of course, or you could just buy a line with bubble flares and put a double inverted flare (US type) on the other end. Any shop that does brake work should have the flaring tool if you do not, and the parts store may have one they will loan out.

Jim

Brownwood
Keith Montague

(176 posts)

01/25/2014 08:08PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: Brownwood
Date: April 12, 2016 08:23AM

Thanks Jim, Helpful and informative as always! :)

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: April 13, 2016 01:10PM

Any chance you could weigh that S10 rear for us before you install it?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.