Lou Staller

(7 posts)

04/30/2016 08:10PM

Main British Car:

Leyland Valve Covers
Posted by: stallerl@socal.rr.com
Date: April 30, 2016 08:21PM

Hello all,
I have a Buick 215 engine that has cast aluminum valve covers that have the Leyland logo and name cast in them on the undersides. One of the covers has a 1 1/2" diameter hole which has a small area that has threads on it. I'm assuming a breather of some type pushes or screws into the hole but I haven't been able to locate what it looks like. Nor am I able to find an after market breather that will fit in a 1 1/2" hole. Most of what's available are 1 1/4" OD.
Any advise or directions as to what I need or what I can use?
Thanks,
Lou

tr8todd
Todd Kishbach

(390 posts)

12/04/2009 07:42AM

Main British Car:

Re: Leyland Valve Covers
Posted by: tr8todd
Date: April 30, 2016 08:26PM

Do they look like the valve covers from a TR8? Google it and see. If thats what you have, then the knowledge of such should help you find one. One one side was a breather. On the other side was an oil fill tube and cap.

stallerl@socal.rr.com
Lou Staller

(7 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 01, 2016 01:01AM

Here's a photo of the valve covers I have. I like the way they look and want to use them but can't find a breather that fits, at least not yet.

Buick Valve Covers.jpg

tr8todd
Todd Kishbach

(390 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 01, 2016 06:34AM

Yep those are the valve covers from TR8 and Land Rovers all throughout the 80s and 90s. If you have any local junkyards with Rovers in them, you should be able to just pluck one. They screw in fairly tight. Most times you need a small pipe wrench or strap wrench to remove them. First time I've seen the covers polished that nicely. Most of the time they just have oil stains and chipped grey paint on them. If you can't find one local, I could send you one for $30 plus shipping. It won't look nearly as nice as the covers you have. I'll try and get a photo of one so you can see what they look like. Have you considered some kind of bushing that screws into the 1.5 and has a inner size of 1.25?

stallerl@socal.rr.com
Lou Staller

(7 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 01, 2016 09:47AM

I've only looked for a 1 1/2' OD x 1 1/4" ID rubber grommet that I can use with any after market breather with a 1 1/4" neck. I would appreciate it if you can take a photo of what you have so I can see if I'll go that route or choose a different type.

When I first got the covers the grey paint was stripped off of them but they weren't polished. I brought them to a metal polishing shop a few miles from my house and in one week they were ready. $40.00 for the pair is reasonable and they do look really nice, especially for cast not billet aluminum.

Thanks, Lou

tr8todd
Todd Kishbach

(390 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 01, 2016 04:28PM

They are made out of steel, so its rusty where the paint chipped off. The bracket around it is suppose to hold a 4 clip spark plug wire holder. Theres a rubber O ring to seal against the valve cover. There is a wire mess inside the breather.
DSC04109.JPG
DSC04110.JPG
DSC04111.JPG

stallerl@socal.rr.com
Lou Staller

(7 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 01, 2016 06:57PM

Thanks for the photo and description. How tall does it stand when screwed into the valve cover? Is there a piece that would go on the top or is it just left open?
Thanks again,
Lou

tr8todd
Todd Kishbach

(390 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 01, 2016 07:07PM

From the base that contacts the valve cover to the top of the vent connector piece is a tick over 3". There were formed 90* rubber vacuum hoses that clamped on to the top, and then went to a Y connector, and then other rubber hoses went to both carbs. Not sure what was there on the FI cars and Land Rovers, but they all had that same breather. You need to hook at least some vacuum to these engines. They generate more crankcase pressure than one would think they should. The other cover should have a small nipple breather as well. What is that you are putting that engine in. Looks similar to this thing I picked up a couple of months ago.
DSC04050.JPG
DSC04031.JPG

stallerl@socal.rr.com
Lou Staller

(7 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 01, 2016 11:22PM

I think I'll pass on the breather as I'm going to look for one that's more 'modern' looking.
The Buick engine is going in is my '78 Lotus Esprit. I have most of the chassis finished including the engine and gearbox back in place. The body is at the body shop which I will get back within a week or two in prime so I can check all the panel fit after I mount it back on the chassis. Once I'm pleased I'll take it back to the body shop for paint.
Fun times!
Lou

Lotus Body.jpg
Lotus Chassis.jpg

tr8todd
Todd Kishbach

(390 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 02, 2016 02:08AM

Looks good. A couple of friends of mine are trying their best to cram leftover Nascar engines into Esprits. Some of the engineering work they have had to do is stunning. I think they are up to 5 or 6 salvage Esprits they have purchased in pursuit of this project. Building one would be daunting enough, but they are each building one. Both have built some pretty spectacular TR8s in the past, so they are the ones to pull it off. Good luck.

88v8
Ivor Duarte
Gloucestershire UK
(1041 posts)

02/11/2010 04:29AM

Main British Car:
1974 Land Rover Lightweight V8

Posted by: 88v8
Date: May 02, 2016 05:23AM

On the SD1 engine in my Landrover - not at home at present - those covers have an oil filler at front left and an intake breather nipple at rear left to attach an open hose or filter. At front right is that breather pictured with the wire mess.
So it breathes diagonally across the rockers covers and through the crankcase.

As said, there are rubber hoses with a Y piece that link the wire mess to the SU carbs.

Ivor

NCtim
Tim Shumbera
Western North Carolina
(239 posts)

01/19/2012 04:35PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: NCtim
Date: May 02, 2016 05:24PM

Hey Lou,

That's a very cool project. Keep us updated on your project. Lot's of pics, please.

Tim

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: May 02, 2016 05:35PM

Yeah, not very elegant, but those breather canisters work very well.

Listen to Todd about the crankcase pressure. They definitely seem to build too much.

stallerl@socal.rr.com
Lou Staller

(7 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 03, 2016 12:49AM

Thanks for the advice concerning crankcase pressure. I'll make sure whatever I decide to do will provide sufficient pressure relief.
I'll post some photos in the next few days of the chassis/engine/gearbox and the current status of the body work.
Having fun! Lou

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: May 03, 2016 10:15AM

Yes, a 5/8" vent line should be considered the absolute minimum. That plus a 3/8" PCV valve is better, and a 3/4" vent line instead of 5/8" is a good idea. You could do a search for PCV to get more info. If you are running a 4bbl carb the orifice breather is not helpful.

Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.