(42 posts)

12/03/2007 10:48PM

Main British Car:
1958 MGA Buick 215 V8

authors avatar
Which radiator for the MGA?
Posted by: Richl705
Date: November 10, 2008 09:07PM

Still working my way through this MGA build. I have been looking at options for radiators and have seen a few of them used with a 215ci, although mostly custons builds. Finding a radiator with the right dimensions for the space in the front of the MGA but still holding enough for a 215 is a challenge. Question would be if I find a radiator with the right dimensions but it was previously on a 3.0L engine, is that close enough? I believe the original Buick 215V8 radiator held 12 quarts. Do I need to come up with a radiator that holds that much or is the efficiency of the newer radiators enough that I can go with a smaller volume? Given I will use a pusher fan does that allow for a smaller radiator? Another question is, can you turn a radiator on its side given the MGA profile allows for a taller than wider radiator? Thanks

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: Which radiator for the MGA?
Posted by: rficalora
Date: November 11, 2008 11:42PM

There are a lot of variables for how big of a radiator you need... Since the V8 will leave little room for the heated air to escape the engine bay, you'll want the biggest radiator you can fit. I'm not familiar with the A's frame, but assuming you don't want to modify it, measure how much room you have between the rails to determine max radiator width & figure out how tall it can be & then search Jeggs, Summit, etc. to see what's out there. Also, puller fans are generally considered more efficient than pushers so you might want to consider that. Also, you can mount the radiator at a angle (e.g. lower part further forward than the upper part) which can help you fit a bigger one in many cases.

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: November 12, 2008 08:34AM

My experience has shown that modern engines don't seem to need as much radiator per displacment as their older versions. My 2.8 V6 cools quite well with a MGB radiator designed for the 1.8.
I don't have any magic formula, just go by the seat of the pants so to speak, but I'm sure enough that a TR4 radiator will cool my 4.0 six in the MGA that I'm building around that. It does fit the chassis pretty well, dropping down between the front frame extension sides nicely. I think it would be ok with a small V8 as well with a good electric fan. If I'm wrong I'll have a lot of rebuilding to do but I'm taking the chance based on previous experience.
Chassis, front.JPG

jblanchard@hcpg.net
Jeb Blanchard
Collierville, TN
(53 posts)

12/07/2007 01:01PM

Main British Car:
1961 MGA Chevy 4.3 Vortec V-6

authors avatar
Posted by: jblanchard@hcpg.net
Date: November 14, 2008 05:29PM

Rich,

I used a 1967 Mustang radiator. Here are two photos at different stages of the build. The engine is a 4.3L chevy.

Jeb
042106front radiator.jpg
033106 motor.jpg

Richl705
Richard Lilly
Fairfax, Virginia
(42 posts)

12/03/2007 10:48PM

Main British Car:
1958 MGA Buick 215 V8

authors avatar
Posted by: Richl705
Date: November 16, 2008 09:36PM

Thanks for all the great input.
Jeb, I have been looking at the pics of your car for a long time and really like the work. The suicide doors are really special. Richard

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.