Gloucestershire UK
(1041 posts)

02/11/2010 04:29AM

Main British Car:
1974 Land Rover Lightweight V8

B&M ratchet shifter
Posted by: 88v8
Date: June 26, 2016 01:21PM

I just bought a car with a ratchet shifter.
There wasn't much description, and I didn't engage in a Q&A before buying the car, I just bought it, so I don't know the model except I see B&M in one of the pics, and in the vid of the chap driving it he's using a ratchet. I don't even know the trans, except that it's an auto. As I say, I didn't do much research :}

Now I can understand the merit of a ratchet on the dragstrip, but in a road car?
It seems like a potential pita for practical manoeuvres like reversing or making a three-pointer.
And how does one know what forward gear one is in... ?

What do we think?

Ivor

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1365 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Re: B&M ratchet shifter
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: June 27, 2016 03:03PM

Depends on the style of B+M shifter Ivor.
Some are full ratchet, some are a standard shift type and some are dual.
The full ratchet style competition types are a complete PITA for the street. In particular, the reverse lockout that must be held up everytime that you put the shifter into park or reverse. (required for most racing organizations)
The dual ones are a little more friendly.
Most have the option of a gear indicator. But it's generally so badly made that it's broken off shortly after installation.

Cheers
Fred

billymgb1000
bill gaulin
harrisville R.I.
(74 posts)

11/30/2012 12:31AM

Main British Car:
1974 MGB V8 LS1 5.3

Re: B&M ratchet shifter
Posted by: billymgb1000
Date: July 28, 2016 07:43AM

Hello Ivor, I know this is an older thread but I just caught it. anyways the ratchet shifter no problem at all, I have one in my mgb v8 and if nothing else it is a great theft deterrent. if you don't know how to work it your not going anywhere. I love mine I have had 4 lower back operations so shifting is out. but pull it down to first and bang through the gears gives me a feeling like I'm shifting.
good luck my friend
Bill G

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.