(138 posts)

04/07/2016 08:29PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB 4.6L Rover V8

OEM Mustang HTOB behind a Rover V8 T5 combo
Posted by: RDMG
Date: August 12, 2016 05:19PM

Hi all,

There's a few references in the Mustang universe about fitting factory HTOB / internal slave cylinders, from the late '00s V6 mustangs with t5s, into earlier cars during a T5 trans upgrade:

[www.stangfix.com]

Here's the part, apparently it costs about $100:

[www.rockauto.com]

I haven't seen any references to a successful retrofit, but it certainly looks possible.

Any chance this would work in a Rover/T5 combo? Anyone in the MG v8 universe tried it? I'm wondering if it's "stroke" is adjustable, or if not, if the spacing might line up nicely with the right trans/spacer/bellhousing/flywheel combo.

Seems like it could be a really elegant and cheap solution.

Dave

RDMG
Dave R
Northern Virginia
(138 posts)

04/07/2016 08:29PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB 4.6L Rover V8

Re: OEM Mustang HTOB behind a Rover V8 T5 combo
Posted by: RDMG
Date: August 14, 2016 10:15AM

After an evening of Google research, I think the project would require shortening of the shaft on the earlier style bearing retainer, plus fitment of a custom spacer/flange between the remaining parts of the bearing retainer and the new slave cylinder. May be an option for some who can machine/fab on the cheap.

It appears that the 2005-2010 4.0L v6 Mustang T5s used a bellhousing and bearing retainer that were very different from the fox body style. The modern style internal slave occupies the space along the input shaft that the earlier style bearing retainer shafts did.

All of this still assumes that the space permits the new slave to work inside a bellhousing different from the 2005-10 bell. My eyeballs estimate "yes" when looking at the Internet, for whatever that's worth. The last generations of mustangs had longer input shafts, but if you're machining things to fit an earlier T5 combo anyway, it can probably be done.

All things considered, the aftermarket adjustable htobs are probably the simplest solution for most.

joe_padavano
Joseph Padavano
Northern Virginia
(157 posts)

02/15/2010 03:49PM

Main British Car:
1962 F-85 Deluxe wagon 215 Olds

Re: OEM Mustang HTOB behind a Rover V8 T5 combo
Posted by: joe_padavano
Date: August 14, 2016 02:22PM

Fourth gen F-bodies with the Buick V6 used the T5 with a HTOB as well. I got one of those transmissions and HTOB setup and was planning on using that with my 215.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.