Kentucky
(51 posts)

09/18/2008 12:56AM

Main British Car:
None Squirrel Cage & 2 Squirrel

Timing chain and sprockets...
Posted by: Black P-38
Date: November 19, 2008 10:04AM

I read somewhere that a 1975 Buick Skyhawk 3.8 V-6 timing set is interchangeable with the Rover... can anyone here confirm this for the 4.0, 4.6 motors? I want to replace my stock pieces with a double row roller set and there are sets available for the application. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks guys,
Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2008 10:04AM by Black P-38.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Re: Timing chain and sprockets...
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: November 21, 2008 07:25PM

Can't confirm it but it should work. All V6 and SBB's used the same timing chain and gears, as did Rover. I haven't heard anything about any of the Rover engines using a different one so you should be fine with it, but I don't know anyone who's tried it.

Jim

Black P-38
Mike Caldwell
Kentucky
(51 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: November 22, 2008 12:28PM

Thank you Jim! I think I'll order one and see if it works out. I'll post up my findings once I get there.

Also, I'm in the process of collecting the pieces for the EDIS conversion on the 4.6 and have the trigger wheel ready to mount on the back side of my balancer.

A friend of mine machined the back side of the HB to create a flat surface, then machined a thin adapter hub to center the trigger wheel and backset it a bit.

It'll look factory when done, just waiting for my VR sensor to arrive before I attach the wheel. I'll post up some pics soon.

Mike

V8Tech
Shaun O'Donnell

(19 posts)

01/12/2009 11:37AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: V8Tech
Date: January 12, 2009 12:37PM

Hello Mike,
Two points;
1) is this a Range Rover GEMS installation of the 4.6? If it is then the cam sensor will not work with anything apart from the standard 4.6 top cam sprocket.
(actually reading your post further it sounds like this is not the case! oops)

2) There are a number of available double roller sets for the 4.0 / 4.6 .. we use by JP in Australia .. but they are available worldwide. But be careful that the chain does not foul the front cover .. some covers have a lug on the back of the distributor housing which can catch the chain links if not removed.

Shaun

Black P-38
Mike Caldwell
Kentucky
(51 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: January 23, 2009 10:05PM

Thanks Shaun, I found that the factory cam has a "keyway" that indexes the sprocket via an integral "key". I ended up with stock Rover replacement sprockets and a Dynagear "Stiffback" chain, on the back of the box it says: Supplied by Cloyes Gear and Products, Inc.

Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.