Migge
Michael B.

(151 posts)

11/18/2008 02:31PM

Main British Car:

Oil leak dizzy stump
Posted by: Migge
Date: April 05, 2017 09:56AM

The engine was rebuild a few years ago and was waiting for 5 years to be installed. In 2016 it was mounted and got a few test runs, all in all 50 miles. It runs fine, Rover 3.5 with quad Dellortos, just back from the rolling road this week. What really disturbs me are the leaks. One leak is the back side of the oil pan. That will be solved when changing the oil again this month. The real problem is the leak at the dizzy stump. I changed from a dizzy bolt for the clamp to a stud, still leaking. I changed the O-ring, still leaking. I put an additional small gasket on top of the stump, still leaking. I disconnected the additional oil feed pipe from the oil pump for the dizzy, still leaking. I used an existing thread in the timing cover on top to mount a NPT adapter with a tube to give the "pressure" a way out, still leaking. I have dry valley clamps and seals front and rear, no leaking. I have 4 breathers on the rockers. So enough "breathing" I guess. Why is oil still coming out of the dizzy stump?
I have added some pics. The red fluffs are from a red rag I put in when driving a few miles to avoid oil over the front.

May I have a wrong dip stick and too much oil in? I don't want to risk an engine damage running too less oil. I have an oil pan with one additional side wing and an additional oil cooler connected.

Kind regards
Migge
20170401_151636.jpg
20170402_1430201.jpg
20170404_1856511.jpg
20170404_1857171.jpg

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Re: Oil leak dizzy stump
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: April 05, 2017 10:08AM

You may be able to use fluorescent dye to identify your leak.

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1365 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: April 05, 2017 12:41PM

Possibly not from the bolt hole. It's a blind hole and I don't think that there is pressurized oil anywhere near it, other than oil slung up from the timing chain.
If it was a porous or cracked housing I would expect to see coolant more than oil.
The traditional leak in that spot is from the valley cover. And I see that your intake manifold doesn't give the clamping coverage that the stock manifold has.
I would use those amazing fabrication skills of yours to made a set of longer valley clamps to give that gasket area full coverage.
That would probably take care of the mystery leak.

Live like you mean it.
Fred

Migge
Michael B.

(151 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: April 10, 2017 05:49AM

The valley clamps are original but a bit too short because of the manifolds. But they are both really dry.

The bolt hole is NOT a blind hole at least at my engine. As I wrote I changed it to a stud, so no possibilty of leak any more.

I'll try another O-ring a bit oversized. But there will be still positive crank pressure anyway.

May I mount this:

[www.ebay.de]

tr8todd
Todd Kishbach

(390 posts)

12/04/2009 07:42AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: tr8todd
Date: April 10, 2017 07:02AM

I have seen both out of round dizzy shanks and out of round holes in the front cover where the dizzy mounts. These usually cause more ignition problems than leaks, but you can get leaks there if there is excess crankcase pressure. Sometimes breathers alone are not enough, especially during the break in period and the rings are setting. On that note, I have seen many engines built with too large a camshaft or overfilling issues wash down the cylinder liners with excess fuel during break in period, If the cross hatches on the cylinder walls can't hole a film of oil because the gasoline is washing it away with every stroke, the rings glaze and never seat. This leads to excess pressure. Assuming your engine is fine, and you are just getting a little excess pressure, a PCV system hooked up to a vacuum on the air cleaner should do the trick. If that doesn't help enough, then you need to find the source of the excess pressure. Excess pressure usually isn't an issue on the 3.5s, but on the larger engines it can be a real ball buster. I know of several stroker engines running vacuum pumps.

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: April 10, 2017 12:02PM

RPI has long stated that the Rover engines (& Buick/Olds) with 14 head bolts have compression leakage into the lifter valley. Rover eventually eliminated the outer head bolts & quit using the tin head gasket. I may soon remove the heads from my 215 to confirm that this is the cause of my blowby problem.

From RPI:

[quote}Every V8 engine we have ever dismantled was suffering from all 8 cylinders leaking compression into the valley (Crankcase) of this engine, thus resulting in 'Crankcase pressurization' that causes many V8 engines to suffer from excessive sludge build up and constant oil leaks around the centre 'Valley' tin gasket, Crankshaft seals, Distributor seal and Rocker covers - this problem can be fully alleviated by the fitting of composite style head gaskets.
These gaskets are made of alternate layered material and are slightly thicker than the standard tin gaskets (lower compression by a factor of 0.7-1) and when fitted on the V8 engine will normally alleviate the leakage problem completely, thus curing compression loss, Oil contamination and un-relinquishing Oil leaks. We recommend the use of composite gaskets on most engines. Rover are now using Composite valley cover gasket, and Composite head gaskets also, in addition The Rover V8 engine is being constructed with the 8 outer head bolts omitted, thus further ensuring a gas tight seal.[/quote]

More:

[www.gomog.com]

88v8
Ivor Duarte
Gloucestershire UK
(1041 posts)

02/11/2010 04:29AM

Main British Car:
1974 Land Rover Lightweight V8

Posted by: 88v8
Date: April 10, 2017 01:45PM

I recall that later assembly instructions in the Land Rover official engine book for the 3.5, gave lower torque for the outer row of bolts.

Ivor

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: April 10, 2017 06:37PM

Best left out completely. The 340 doesn't use them.

Migge
Michael B.

(151 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 11, 2017 06:14AM

Okay gents,

After try&error I think the problem with the dizzy oil leak is solved. Thought that the little but permanent oil puddle under the dizzy stump came from the the bolt hole from the clamp or the O-ring because of too much pressure. Disconnected my additional oil feed pipe for the dizzy, still leaking. Changed the bolt to a stud and renewed the O-ring twice, still leaking. Was sure that the evacuation system (tubes from the breathers to the exhausts to produce vacuum) would be the BIG help to minimize pressure, still leaking. Renewed the dizzy O-ring again, a bit thicker and just fitting in, still leaking. Removed the dizzy again (I don't know how many times) and recognized oil under the cap!! :(
After removing the black plastic cover inside the dizzy and after additional inspection I could see a 2 mm high oil puddle at the bottom of the dizzy body!
The body has two small holes at the bottom. The Rover dizzy sits at an angle as anybody knows. Not vertical as a Ford or Chevy. One of the hole is at the lower position of the dizzy body when mounted. The addional oil feed for the dizzy is great to minimze the gear wear. But the aditional oil on the gears will cause oil inside the dizzy along the spindle too and that is turning to the top aka the body. When the oil is on a certain level in the casting it will drop through the bottom hole of the casting and hit the timing cover at the area where the clamp sits.

I disconnected the feed pipe again and made a 5 miles test drive yesterday. No oil anywhere :)

I hope that this problem is solved but that will show a longer run.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 11, 2017 09:33AM

You're saying you had an external oil line to the distributor?

Jim

Migge
Michael B.

(151 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 12, 2017 10:18AM

Yes, to the gears to avoid too much wear. See pics.

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: May 12, 2017 01:33PM

Back in the day, on my 215, all 14 bolts were torqued to 75lb/ft. The couple I checked were very close to 75.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2017 11:23AM by MGBV8.

Migge
Michael B.

(151 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 15, 2017 03:25AM

?????

Well,

After a 30 miles drive, new oil puddle :(

It drives me crazy but I'll find a solution.

Migge
Michael B.

(151 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 22, 2017 04:47AM

After mounting the second time a brand new dizzy, the problem is solved Smile

The 360 miles trip to SPA proofed that. The other "old" dizzy, that was laying on the shelf for a few years had inside a weak seal that allowed the oil to go up the spindle to the dizzy body and drops out of one of the holes directly on top of the dizzy clamp.

Cheers
Pitschi

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Posted by: roverman
Date: May 22, 2017 07:06PM

14 head bolts-or ? Back in the day, I would "add" the four extra, exhaust side on 64'/300 heads. Don't start ! It worked on 3.736 bore motors. Maybe 10 is ok, on cast iron blocks ? Don't know/care. BL Motorsports found out, "split" intake manifolds, allowed the heads to move around much more,(high/extreme performance). Onward, art.

Migge
Michael B.

(151 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 25, 2017 01:13PM

Wrong thread Roverman?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.