rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Anyone familiar with Edelbrock's Pro Flo system?
Posted by: rficalora
Date: September 28, 2017 01:22PM

I can get one that's still "new" (never been installed) for a great price. But it is the original version from 7 years ago and Edelbrock is on version 3 now. I know I'd have to get the right chip for it and tuning would be manual. V3 brings self learning, but they don't have an upgrade kit.

Anyway, if you're familiar with them, I'd love to hear about your experience.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Re: Anyone familiar with Edelbrock's Pro Flo system?
Date: September 28, 2017 03:34PM

Another question for Jim or Curtis - or others who've used mega squirt. Is there any reason a MS controller couldnt be used to manage it? I'm reading that some parts (like the TPS) are NLA so folks are modifying othwrs to fit - but there's no way to tell the ECU about the different parameters of the new sensor. Seems like MS would solve that problem.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: September 29, 2017 09:53AM

There's no reason MS couldn't run it. But how much does the V3 controller cost? MS is no longer cheap and it was never easy.

Jim

danmas
Dan Masters
Alcoa, Tennessee
(578 posts)

10/28/2007 12:11AM

Main British Car:
1974 MGBGT Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: danmas
Date: September 29, 2017 01:18PM

I'm running a first-gen Pro-Flo. Once I got the right chip, it has run flawlessly (they shipped me the wrong chip initially, whether their mistake or mine I don't know). After installing the right chip, it ran so well right out of the box that I have done minimal tuning.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: September 29, 2017 03:34PM

I Google'd around and got confused. Is it really possibly to upgrade to V3 with just a chip change, or is it a whole new computer? I guess it depends on exactly what your starting point is. Here Speedway is offering an upgrade kit for $2009.99 - and that's their "garage sale" special price AND it only takes you to Pro Flo 2: [www.speedwaymotors.com] - Am I reading that right?

As for MegaSquirt... it's can be pretty straighforward. MS3-Pro has a factory built computer, and it comes with a great installation manual. Your Pro Flo is a huge leg-up. You can obviously simply bolt on the manifold, throttle body, injectors, fuel rail, and you get several sensors. Looks like you even get an EFI fuel pump and filter. I saw one message board post about how someone had to toss the early Pro Flo systems's narrow-band O2 sensor and install a wide-band sensor instead. (That's no big deal, but extra dollars.) You'll probably want to fit a trigger wheel and crank position sensor; I don't see those parts in photos of the early Pro Flo kit. (Weird.) And of course you'll cannibalize their harness. The price of MS3-Pro includes TunerStudio software, and that software has pretty good self-tuning features. It will also open up upgrade paths: most conspicuously multi-coil crankfired ignition.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2017 03:37PM by Moderator.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: September 29, 2017 03:40PM

p.s. MS will have no trouble working with your TPS's signal.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: September 29, 2017 05:51PM

Thanks guys. I pulled the trigger; have a few hour drive to pick it up tomorrow.

Curtis - I'm pretty sure going to V3 requires a whole new EEC vs just a chip. And some of the sensors have different plugs so would require some harness mods too. They don't offer a V1 -> V3 upgrade kit but when I called they said they are considering it. $2k would be too rich for my blood (I'm paying less than $600 for the kit. My plan is to use it as is. Questions about MS were really as a fallback if the EEC fails at some point down the road.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.