64turtle
Stan Edwards

(3 posts)

12/11/2008 05:22PM

Main British Car:

Rover 4.6 Liter takeout longblocks
Posted by: 64turtle
Date: December 13, 2008 08:44PM

I have just acquired two Rover longblocks. These are, I believe, approx. 2002 Range Rover motors that failed in the warranty period, and therefor have very low mileage. The failure was the crank driven oil pump failing, breaking out chunks of the timing cover. My question is, what is the best way to utilize one of these engines? Do you rebuild it to esssentially stock configuration with the crank driven oil pump, or do you change it to an earlier style timing cover and pump? Will that work with the existing 4.6 crank? Since it has a crank fired ignition, can you recreate that (neither the flywheel nor any of the ignition parts came with the engines)? Will intake manifolds intended for the 215 series and 4 barrel carbs mate up to the 4.6 liter heads, or do I need to hunt up a fuel injection system?

As you can see, I am not very familiar with this engine family, and what works with what. Any guidance you can give me will help me decide what to do with these engines.

Thanks in advance - Stan Edwards

hoffbug
Tony Hoffer
Minnesota
(323 posts)

10/15/2007 05:25PM

Main British Car:
Olds 215 EFI

Re: Rover 4.6 Liter takeout longblocks
Posted by: hoffbug
Date: December 14, 2008 10:33AM

Apparently there is a mythical "intermediate" front cover that has the crank driven oil pump and provisions for a distributor.. According the Des Hammil that was the hot ticket for a retro swap..
Ive never been able to find one so I probably will end up going with a V-6 or Buick 300 front cover.

hoffbug
Tony Hoffer
Minnesota
(323 posts)

10/15/2007 05:25PM

Main British Car:
Olds 215 EFI

Posted by: hoffbug
Date: January 01, 2009 10:01AM

Intakes designed for the Buick 215 will work...

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: January 01, 2009 11:29AM

That late cover sure is an ugly mutha, and I just don't see why they did it. A drive stub to replace the distributor is much easier and I don't see where they gained anything by it. But for a retrofit an earlier cover is much more flexible and gives you the options of using a distributor or not, and several different lower oil pump housings.

Jim

Dave
David Gable
Jax
(112 posts)

10/23/2007 05:40AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: Dave
Date: January 02, 2009 03:23AM

Nothing mythical about the interim cover, just scarce since it was used for just a couple of years. Find a '95 Rover. Contact Jim Stuart, he's used one on a conversion. I'd just use an earlier timing cover though.

Edit: Oh yeah, if you use an interim (or later) cover on an early engine you have to machine the keyway on the crankshaft. The pump requires a longer key.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2009 03:36AM by Dave.

V8Tech
Shaun O'Donnell

(19 posts)

01/12/2009 11:37AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: V8Tech
Date: January 12, 2009 12:06PM

I agree with Dave ... these covers are definitely available .. it's just a crank driven oil pump (which incidently is far better) as in the later 4.6 (serpentine) version but with the addition of a distributor fitment. It means you can fit a distributor to a 4.6 as long as you change the camshaft (the 4.6 standard cam does not have a nose for the distributor drive).
The key way issue is onle apparent on short nose cranks (i.e. 215, 3.5 and early 3.9's) the 4.0 and 4.6 engines all have a long nose crankshaft with a long keyway.
The only consideration is that the front pulley (damper) from the 4.6 (GEMS) engine will not fit .. but there is a direct replacement available for about £50 ($70).
Shaun

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.