tips, technology, tools and techniques related to vehicle driveline components

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

blockmom
Chuck Anderson

(6 posts)

10/02/2017 08:27PM

Main British Car:

where to buy / make or modify Shift lever for 1985 Camaro T5.
Posted by: blockmom
Date: January 21, 2018 05:21PM

I am part way thought the V8 & T5 swap on my 1978 MGB. ! am looking for suggestions on where to buy / make or modify Shift lever for 1985 Camaro T5. I want to keep the stock look of a 1978 MGB.

RDMG
Dave R
Northern Virginia
(138 posts)

04/07/2016 08:29PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB 4.6L Rover V8

Re: where to buy / make or modify Shift lever for 1985 Camaro T5.
Posted by: RDMG
Date: January 22, 2018 03:54PM

I’m working on the same problem.

The factory original camaro/firebird T5 shifters come up on eBay from time to time, but they must be modified to account for the original angled installation in the Camaro/Firebird. Easy enough if you can grind and weld, but the shift feel of them was never good, even when new. If you’re looking to match the original MGB shifter location exactly, you’ll need to put a compound “gooseneck” in the shift lever to move it about an inch rearward and an inch to the left, give or take.

Look for a Pro5.0 shifter or Hurst shifter, they’re about $180 new, or $100-ish used. They are precision milled, with positive stops at the extremes of each gate that supposedly give a much crisper, better feeling gear shift, and protecting the internal shift forks from excessive wear. They both make a version for GM T5s, and they have a short vertical stub to receive whatever shift lever you want. B&M shifters are another option, but they have an integrated shift lever that may not come through the trans tunnel where you want it to. On Hurst and Pro5.0 shifters, you can bend and drill out a stock MGB shift lever to match the two mounting holes on the shifter stub.

You likely won’t find a decent used aftermarket GM shifter for sale anytime soon, I’ve been watching eBay for a month and haven’t seen anything I want. Another option is the cheap Chinese clones of the high-end aftermarket shifters They’re about $40. I don’t know about the feel or durability of them, but the price is nice.

I’m told the mounting plate of the aftermarket shifters for foxbody Ford Mustangs can be re-drilled to suit a GM T5. The rear holes line up just right, then redrill the front holes. You can find mustang shifters on eBay all the time. That’s probably your cheapest/best/quickest option.

If you’re not into fabricating and prefer a bolt-in option, there’s QuickStik (QwikStick?) that makes the same style of precision-machined shifter and sells different shift lever stubs with a wide range of offsets to suit many applications. They run about $300.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2018 04:00PM by RDMG.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: January 22, 2018 08:51PM

Quote:
The factory original camaro/firebird T5 shifters come up on eBay from time to time, but they must be modified to account for the original angled installation in the Camaro/Firebird. Easy enough if you can grind and weld, but the shift feel of them was never good, even when new.

For what it's worth, I actually did use an OEM Camaro shifter - I got it new, back in the day - and I simply cut it off one inch above the vibration damper. Made my own knob... sort of a quill style attachment instead of threading on. There's a snapshot on my gallery page. The length and peculiar rightward angle of the lever have never bothered me, but I agree that it's not slick shifting- the good news is that it's finally starting to loosen up now that I've worn it in. Another 50,000 miles and I'll probably really like it.

Charles
Charles Long
McDonald, TN
(177 posts)

09/15/2013 08:54AM

Main British Car:
1966 MGB V6 1994 Camaro 3.4L 60V6

authors avatar
Posted by: Charles
Date: January 25, 2018 10:06PM

I made the one I use from a modified Miata shift rod.
Like Curtis wrote I cut the damper off and bent to fit.
IMG_20180121_193428938~01.jpg
MGB V6 shift lever~02~01.jpg

v8mgb
Jim Miller

(155 posts)

01/01/2008 11:38AM

Main British Car:
78 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: v8mgb
Date: February 20, 2018 09:04PM

D&D sells one or at least I purchased one 18 years ago.

GTplus
Tracy Moore
Jacksonville, Fl
(18 posts)

05/22/2011 05:37PM

Main British Car:
'71 MGB GT, '77 MGB chrevrolet 350, LT1 350 in the MGB

Posted by: GTplus
Date: June 01, 2018 04:42PM

Hmm, I took a stock shifter out of an S10 pickup with a T5 and removed the long top part of the arm. This left a short S that needed only to have a shifter knob installed. I made mine with a B&M T handle. Perfect height installed in the GT without any other mods required. Mid 80s Camaro trans with S10 tail housing.
IMG_0322.JPG

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2018 01:50PM by GTplus.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.