joecolli
Joe Collins

(3 posts)

07/07/2015 08:03AM

Main British Car:

lifter/cam wear
Posted by: joecolli
Date: February 20, 2018 02:39PM

Does anybody have experience with one bank, the left side, of a Rover V8 exhibiting far more wear on the cam & lifters than the other bank? I am in the process of replacing my worn cam and noticed the left side lifters are worn considerably more than the right side. I initially attributed the worn cam to lack of awareness of the removal of zinc & phosphorus from engine oils about the time I built his engine in 2000, as well as an episode where the crankcase was flooded with gasoline after a fuel pump failure. Another cause may have been mixing cam & lifters from different manufacturers.

I plan to replace the existing Crower 50230 with either the same cam or possibly the 50232, this time using Crower Cam Saver lifters. I don't believe there was any issue with coil bind or valve guide interference on the original build and my spring pressure should not be excessive.

Looking at some old Buick lifters from a very high mileage engine the left side look marginally worse than the right. I am wondering if I could have a block oiling issue. I based the build on a short block from John Eales/J E Developments.

I appreciate any insight anyone can provide.

kstevusa
kelly stevenson
Southern Middle Tennessee
(985 posts)

10/25/2007 09:37AM

Main British Car:
2003 Jaguar XK8 Coupe 4.2L DOHC/ VVT / 6sp. AT

authors avatar
Re: lifter/cam wear
Posted by: kstevusa
Date: February 20, 2018 03:48PM

Joe, possibly you can re-post n the Engine & Drive Train section and get more responses. Just a suggestion.

joecolli
Joe Collins

(3 posts)

07/07/2015 08:03AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: joecolli
Date: February 21, 2018 07:47AM

Thanks for the move, this location makes more sense. I decided last night that the wear issue is not due to any block oiling deficiency. With the lifters removed I ran the oil pump, plenty of oil is flowing from the lifter galley oil passages on both sides. Hopefully the Cam Saver lifters will help prevent a recurrence.

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1365 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: February 22, 2018 03:21PM

I believe that you were a victim of the change in oil formulations Joe.
And the fuel wash certainly didn't help either.
You generally do see more wear on the left bank of lifters in most V style engines. This is due to the cam receiving very little oil at low engine speeds.
The lobes rely almost solely on leakage from the lifter bores at slow speeds. That's why you run over 2500 rpm on brake-in. The crankshaft throws oil up onto the cam at these speeds.
The oil is concentrated on the right side of the cam and mostly is thrown off by the time it gets around to the left side lifters. Hence more wear on the left.
Comp cams makes a very clever tool that ensures full oiling at all times. The tool cuts a small groove into the lifter bore.
This gives full oiling to the cam lobe/ lifter interface.
I've used this type of tool for years and have had very few cam problems ever since.
Double check on the Crower lifters, I haven't used the cam saver style but I was led to understand that they bleed down while sitting.
Not a big deal but it would make some noise upon start up.

Cheers
Fred

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Posted by: roverman
Date: February 27, 2018 12:35PM

A low-$ oil accumulator tank,(Moroso/etc), controlled by a solenoid oil control valve, could be a helpful device.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.