Winchester, CA.
(2909 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Re: New guy
Posted by: roverman
Date: May 16, 2018 07:39PM

I suspect your Hilborn "butterflys", measure 1.8" dia. ? If so, same as mine. Mine has Hilborn pump and water pump driven, direct by cam. I was at Hilborn, in Laguna Niguel, when they were building the "last" shipment of (50), to Azland. GM,Buick and Olds, did some real odd-ball motors/parts for the Indy efforts. Unless you're a quite skilled corner burner/etc., you may find some challenges with Hilborns, on the street,(loading-up on low speeds). Story I was told, was use a excess fuel return tank, clos as possible to engine bay, (reduce load-up). Looks like a handful and fun. Good Luck, roverman.

Young olds
roger parkey

(23 posts)

05/02/2018 07:07PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: Young olds
Date: May 31, 2018 09:29PM

Is there a timing belt set up available for these engines( instead of a chain)?

Young olds
roger parkey

(23 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: June 17, 2018 06:29PM

Had the engine running today, plan was to get it warm and full of water so I can set the fan controller. It was going well at first, nice oil pressure, steady idle, etc. then I noticed I was putting more water in then the engine should hold. Checked the oil and there is water in it, hopefully I shut it off before any bearing damage but Iím wondering if I have bad head gasket or something else. The block had a crack on the outside that leaked water, wondering if there is a crack inside.

Young olds
roger parkey

(23 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: June 18, 2018 12:55AM

I picked up a rover 4.2 hoping to only use the shortblock. Will all the parts from my 3.5 bolt on? I know a ton of parts interchange but am unsure about the flywheel. I literally want to only use the bare block and rotating assembly and swap the rest from my 215.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2018 01:25AM by Young olds.

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(3497 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
79 MGB, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: June 18, 2018 10:33AM

Quote:
Is there a timing belt set up available for these engines( instead of a chain)?

Like a Jessel Belt Drive? They are quite pricey. Doubt they are available for the 215.

Young olds
roger parkey

(23 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: June 20, 2018 02:11PM

Yes like Jessel, or any other manufacturer.

I did some searching but I couldnít find the answer. Wondering what the piston dish volume is on the 4.2 motors?

Young olds
roger parkey

(23 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: July 23, 2018 03:47PM

Havenít updated in a while, was tuning the motor one day and was topping of the radiator as it was warming up. Realized I had put way more water in then what the cooling system should hold. Well I have a crank case full of water now and havenít really touched the car since, I have picked up a 4.2 a guy was giving away Iím thinking Iíll throw in as a temp motor. I got some extra parts with the motor to include a front cover with a ďsandwichĒ plate for oil cooler. Iíd like to get fittings that will screw in to the plate and adapt to AN fittings. Anyone know what style and thread size the plate accepts? All I know is that itís an oring flare type deal like seen on power steering hoses.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.