Canton, OH
(6 posts)

01/29/2018 01:21PM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB GT V8 currently 3.5 Rover

Info/help needed on LS engine swap
Posted by: Oddbrit
Date: September 25, 2018 05:43PM

Hi I'm in the process of reviewing a potential engine swap on a 1965 Jaguar Mark X saloon. The car I have is in decent shape but the XK 6 cylinder is tired and need rebuilt. Instead I'm looking at transplanting a 6.0 Vortec out of a 2005 Silverado 2500 pickup.

I'm trying to just do a basic swap without changing and parts unless necessary. My initial review of the powertrain and the engine bay review it should be possible with little modification except in the transmission tunnel area. After numerous car resotation/modification/build projects of 25+ years I'm not scared of this but it is my first time transplanting a computer control engine/transmission combo. Therefore I have a couple questions and requests for guidance if possible.

1) The pickup I've found has a 5 speed manual. If I transplant a 4L60E or 4L80E transmission will the existing harness and computer work?

2) It appears many of the components (like ECM) will mount in similar locations as in the truck. Will it be necessary to eliminate certain sensors, wiring, etc. from the stock engine harness or can I just plug & play and only hook up a few wires to the exisitng harness?

3) Is there a good source to help me understand what wires can be eliminated?

4) Am I biting off more than I chew with limited computer controlled engine knowledge?

5) Anything else that your experience shows will poisible bite me?

Thanks in advance for any comments - Jim Bolinger (Canton, OH)

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2461 posts)

02/29/2008 08:29PM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB roadster 260 Ford V8

Re: Info/help needed on LS engine swap
Posted by: mgb260
Date: September 25, 2018 06:00PM

Just use a 700R4 or 2004R, no computer control necessary.

Scott68B
Scott Costanzo
Columbus, Ohio
(561 posts)

10/25/2007 11:30AM

Main British Car:
1968 MGB GM 5.3 LS4 V8

authors avatar
Posted by: Scott68B
Date: September 25, 2018 07:18PM

Jim,

Sorry I dropped the ball on you. Try this site:

[www.lt1swap.com]

Find the year of your engine and then look through the links there. You will find pinout descriptions that tell you what wires you can remove and what wires need to stay. There are also wiring diagrams that will help you create your harness. I used similar diagrams to build my harness. Wiring is tedious work but it isn't rocket science. I actually like doing wiring. I mentioned that you should decide on a tuner earlier rather than later. I used Sinister Performance which is in Waterloo, Indiana:

[www.gmtuners.com]

He isn't very far from either of us. You will need him (or another tuner) to make some changes to your ECM before you can use it. He can guide you as to what you should and shouldn't do as well. He sent along wiring diagrams to me to make sure the harness was correct. Great guy. I think you will be much happier with fuel injection. You have the advantage of having the complete drivetrain and wiring from the donor vehicle which should help your situation. Not to disagree with Jim but there is no reason not to use your existing transmission. You have the computer already in place to control it. Sinister and tweak that for you as well, if needed.

Ask specific questions when you get there and we can point you in the right direction.

Scott

Oddbrit
Jim Bolinger
Canton, OH
(6 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: September 26, 2018 01:01PM

Thanks Scott. This is a very helpful site.

The one question I still have is my donor truck has a manual transmission which I want to replace with an automatic. I know this requires a PCM flash but it the exisitng wiring harness usable or do I need to find one from an automatic truck?

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2461 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: September 26, 2018 01:48PM

Jim, I still believe the non computer auto's I mention would work fine. There is a $36 crank spacer and the earlier bellhousing bolts up except for one bolt. I think Scott missed the part where you didn't want to use the truck manual transmission.

[www.jegs.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2018 01:49PM by mgb260.

Oddbrit
Jim Bolinger
Canton, OH
(6 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: September 26, 2018 02:48PM

Thanks Jim. I just happen to have a 200R4 under my workbench but wanted to move into the modern electronic work if possible and with little cost. As you know it would make life simplier to go old school.

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2461 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: September 26, 2018 03:00PM

I agree, Old School! Have you looked at the Trick Flow 4 barrel intake manifold with the Fitech or Holley Sniper TBI EFI. Kind of Hybrid between Old School and modern. Much simpler.

[www.ebay.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2018 03:02PM by mgb260.

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: September 26, 2018 03:20PM

I believe he can have the computer re-flashed for the 4L60E/4L80E tranny. Also, there is a stand alone computer available from TCI, B&M, & others.

Scott68B
Scott Costanzo
Columbus, Ohio
(561 posts)

10/25/2007 11:30AM

Main British Car:
1968 MGB GM 5.3 LS4 V8

authors avatar
Posted by: Scott68B
Date: October 03, 2018 05:29PM

Jim,

Sorry for the delay again on this. I did miss you have a manual transmission setup. That's pretty rare I believe. You will need additional wiring as well as a PCM flash. It might be easier to get an automatic harness and PCM from a compatible truck. You will still require a flash though. If you're ok with doing the wiring and you plan carefully, things will be pretty straight forward. By keeping things stock like you are, you'll be running on factory code in the PCM. Provided your wiring is right and your fuel supply is good, it should start right up and run like it did when it left the factory. You're really going to like the way the way it runs. It will be scary fast!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.