mercmad
Ron Bunting

(14 posts)

06/27/2019 01:34AM

Main British Car:

Re: Valvetrain issue with new engine
Posted by: mercmad
Date: July 03, 2019 05:42AM

No oil to the lifter gallery says that the block might not even be bored from the main feed to the lifter gallery. Not so unusual actually but could be why the engine was unused,someone else had the same problem. I needed to increase the oil pressure in an early hemi i had built for salt lake racing. In preinternet days it was often a matter of writing a letter or six to people who had raced these engines in the past . hat i had to do was drill and tap each oil hole in each lifter bore,tap them and screw in stainless steel grubscrews I had bored with a tiny hole to reduce oil to the lifters.
Is it possible that the oil gallery had been similarly altered to reduce oil flow ?

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Re: Valvetrain issue with new engine
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: July 03, 2019 03:43PM

It's a known problem. The OEM plugs are shallow and usually replaced with threaded pipe plugs. If the installer isn't really particular about the type of plugs used and the depth they are threaded to it is very easy to restrict or completely block off the oil flow into that galley by running the plug in too far. Easy enough to check if the front cover is off.

Jim
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.