Northern Virginia
(138 posts)

04/07/2016 08:29PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB 4.6L Rover V8

FiTech EDIS setup?
Posted by: RDMG
Date: December 20, 2019 11:56AM

Anybody out there have some electronics experience?

I suspect there’s a simple solution to connecting FiTech EFI to an EDIS ignition controller, but I don’t know what I don’t know.

FiTech EFI systems can control ignition if they are coupled with a compatible “2 wire” distributor, such as MSD and DuraSpark. Those distributors send a simple signal to the FiTech computer that indicates cam position, and receive a simple signal from the FiTech controller. I assume the distributors contain a hall-effect sensor similar to what EDIS uses, but I’m not sure.

I found this quote on a vintage mustang forum about using FiTech to control a Ford EDIS8 trigger wheel ignition setup:

“neither the FITech or the Sniper are configured to produce a PIP/SAW signal that the EDIS system can use. It does have a two wire output and it seems like a simple firmware upgrade could enable this, but for now I'll be keeping the megajolt to control timing.”

[www.vintage-mustang.com]

Here’s a great overview of the EDIS system, and the PIP/SAW signal details between the EDIS controller and an EFI computer:

[www.megamanual.com]

It seems that two wires between the FiTech and the EDIS is all it would take, but I don’t know if the MSD/DuraSpark signal inputs are comparable to EDIS signals, or if the FiTech signal outputs are comparable to MegaSquirt signals, or if it might be easy to translate the signals using some simple hardware wired in between.

I know MegaJolt is one answer, but I’m wondering if something simpler would work?

mstemp
Mike Stemp
Calgary, Canada
(222 posts)

11/25/2009 07:18AM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB Rover 4.6L

Re: FiTech EDIS setup?
Posted by: mstemp
Date: December 22, 2019 09:02AM

Someone on here stated that FiTech does not and would not support EDIS.
I looked at it and found the same info you linked to. I fear it won’t do what you ask even if it looks like only two wires. Won’t even work with most other people’s programable distributors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2019 06:13PM by mstemp.

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

10/25/2007 11:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: FiTech EDIS setup?
Posted by: ex-tyke
Date: December 22, 2019 09:10AM

If you have the patience, call the Fitech hotline - they have some pretty knowledgeable folks there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.