jaygerding
john gerding

(21 posts)

06/14/2017 09:33PM

Main British Car:

PVC Problems
Posted by: jaygerding
Date: February 14, 2020 11:23PM

I am sure this has been dealt with before, but please bear with me. I have upgraded my TR8 to a 4.0. It seems to have taken forever to get past a bunch of problems, but now I think I am ready to get it on the road except for one thing.

What do I do about the Crankcase ventilation? I wanted to use the valve covers from the 4.0 donor, but they are apparently not configured to work in my situation. (Edlebrock intake manifold and carb). Should I use the valve covers from the original engine? l am pretty sure that when I GOT the car, this was not hooked up correctly. How about putting an Oil Catch Can in the system?

Your knowledge and thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

88v8
Ivor Duarte
Gloucestershire UK
(1041 posts)

02/11/2010 04:29AM

Main British Car:
1974 Land Rover Lightweight V8

Re: PVC Problems
Posted by: 88v8
Date: February 16, 2020 05:05AM

With the original SUs on the 215, ventilation air enters at the left rear of the rocker box/valve cover, and is sucked into both carbs via a Y joint from the flame trap on the right front.
When I changed to an Edelbrock 500 on a JWR/Offenhauser intake, I kept this arrangement as far as possible. Air still enters at the left rear, and is sucked from the right front into the bottom of the pancake air filter. In the interests of KISS, I eventually went with no PCV.
So far, this seems to work OK.

I think that sometimes, catch tanks are a bit of a fashion accessory. They make sense on racing engines which may be rather loosely built and have a higher degree of blowby, but fumes and condensation will always be better removed by sucking them out than by relying on crankcase pressure to blow them out.
Again, in a racing engine, condensation products are not an issue as it will be fully heated up every time it runs, and then, there's the expectation that it will be stripped every year or so and any gunk will be routinely cleaned out. Whereas a road engine may be fully heated or not, and could run many years between rebuilds.

There have been various discussions on the topic, here for instance
[forum.britishv8.org]
and
[www.britishv8.org]
and
[forum.britishv8.org]

If you want to get really fancy, there's an adjustable PCV valve available
[mewagner.com]

Ivor

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.