sIIalongpu
Rusty Presley
Alabama
(2 posts)

02/17/2020 03:50PM

Main British Car:
94 RRC LWB, 66 SIIA Long Pickup Delux 4.2

authors avatar
4.6 drivetrain (motor/tranny/tcase) standalone operation.
Posted by: sIIalongpu
Date: February 17, 2020 04:28PM

Question to all please....

I want to upgrade the motor in my 94 RRC LWB. I recently acquired a complete 4.6 motor-tranny-tcase assembly with all computers, wiring, and accessories from a 2004 D2.

I know I can swap the motor with the 4.2 easily, but i don't really want to use the 14CUX setup.

Id like to get the 4.6 and its engine and transmission management to work in the 94, hense my "standalone" comment.

If I can get the assembly to work outside the vehicle "standalone", I know it "should" work if installed.

Any suggestions, or am I just wasting time trying to do the whole thing?

Any other suggestions other than Megasquirt for an aftermarket EMS system?

many thanks.
46.jpg

88v8
Ivor Duarte
Gloucestershire UK
(1041 posts)

02/11/2010 04:29AM

Main British Car:
1974 Land Rover Lightweight V8

Re: 4.6 drivetrain (motor/tranny/tcase) standalone operation.
Posted by: 88v8
Date: February 18, 2020 04:53AM

Hello and welcome.

Good that you are enjoying your Rangie.
The 94 LSE was what is sometimes known as a 'soft dash' and saw the start of the electronics nonsense that now pervades all modern cars. And by 2004, with the Discovery 2, had only got worse.
As you realise, the issue here is not so much the drive train, but getting the drive train to talk to the rest of the vehicle.

Unless anyone here has insight, this is really a question for a Land Rover forum.

Happily, I am able to look upon these matters from the electronics-free era of 1974. Albeit your LSE may outpoint my Lightweight in the comfort stakes.

Good luck.

Ivor

sIIalongpu
Rusty Presley
Alabama
(2 posts)

02/17/2020 03:50PM

Main British Car:
94 RRC LWB, 66 SIIA Long Pickup Delux 4.2

authors avatar
Posted by: sIIalongpu
Date: February 18, 2020 04:16PM

thanks 88v8.

Thankfully mine is the hard dash. Most say the 4.6 for 4.2 swap is easily done with a few modifications.
Seems a shame to not use the newer electrikery if I can though. I seem to have an odd issue in wiring harness that affects the 14CUX from time to time and haven't been able to track it down. My 4.2 is on a stand now since I swapped a known good 3.9 in for it a few years ago. I would prefer to keep the hydraulically controlled zf4hp22 over the 'lectric one. Just fishing for advice/ideas knowing I'll probably just swap flywheel/covers/intake and plug and play it into the 14CUX system, sigh.

Id like to keep it going till I quit in another 30-40 years.

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1365 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: August 21, 2020 10:28PM

The 04 electronics are probably doable, but you'd need to resurrect Merlin and pay him in gold to do it.
I've been messing around a lot lately with the GM LS engines.
With a little research I would bet that the ecm for an early (ie 2001) 4.8 would be fairly close to what you need.
They are infinitely tune-able by just about anyone with a laptop and have an amazing following of people who are eager to help.
The electronic trans has similar controls to the gm 4l60e and the engine has similar sensors etc.
Wrecking yards are giving ECUs and harnesses away for just showing up, so nothing to lose by giving it a shot.
Food for thought
Live like you mean it!
Fred

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.