Central Iowa
(192 posts)

12/29/2007 02:53PM

Main British Car:
'73 TR 6 '97 Explorer 5.0

electric fan
Posted by: IaTR6
Date: June 07, 2020 12:36PM

With not enough to do, I began thinking about the electric fan on my TR6 with Ford V8. It is always running when I pull into the garage, and
I began thinking maybe when cruising down the road I don't need it running. So, to begin, I connected a light to the control, and planned to verify the running, whether it ever shut off, whether I could even tell and so on. Then, my mind wandered to the power consumption.
The fan draws 17 amp at 12V, which is a measly 204 watts, or ~.27 hp. I read constantly about the horsepower loss with an engine driven fan,
and can't reconcile this with my electric fan.
I suppose the engine driven fan has some additional loss from the belt, but even so, it doesn't seem to be the large loss I was expecting. A long
story short, is it even worth concerning myself with the fan running all the time? (I'll probably do my testing just because)
Dennis

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: electric fan
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: June 08, 2020 10:02AM

Any particular reason you do not use an adjustable thermostat?

IaTR6
Dennis Costello
Central Iowa
(192 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: June 08, 2020 02:18PM

Sorry Carl, I left out the important info. I have an adjustable temperature control.
What I've done is make myself look silly for not spending the time to accurately adjust it.
I wasn't concerned too much since my temp never exceeded 200 degrees. What
I was thinking mostly, is it really all that important that the fan shuts off when
airflow through the radiator is sufficient for cooling?
Dennis

IaTR6
Dennis Costello
Central Iowa
(192 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: June 12, 2020 10:24AM

As an update: I have adjusted my fan temperature control to come on ~205 degrees, and it shuts off ~195 degrees.
Using an old instrument light socket and bulb as a visual indicator, I find the fan will run after sitting a little
while at a stoplight, and then goes off after a mile or so at 2000 rpm and 40 mph.
I didn't use a voltmeter to test, but if the fan is spinning and generates any voltage when it is freewheeling, it doesn't light the bulb.
So, back to the original question: does having the fan turn off at speed matter? I don't know, and now don't
care at all.
Now on to the next project: stop blowing the fuse to the ignition switch. Co-pilot not amused when helping push the car out of traffic
or towing me home with a strap. Went for a drive alone, and used 7 fuses to get home. Suspect EDIS unit. I doesn't even have LUCAS on it!
Dennis

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1365 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: September 18, 2020 09:28PM

Having the fan running at speed can be an issue Dennis.
Electric fans appear to be pretty powerful and generally they are, but their air speed is not as high as you would think.
They can actually become a hinderance to airflow at highway speeds if they are running.
OEMs generally program the fan off at higher speeds. Prior to that they would use vent flaps to allow air flow around the fan at higher speeds.
Ran into this very problem with the Suzuki race cars back in the day. They would overheat at speed unless we turned the fans off.
Put a speed sensor in and the problem went away.
Live like you mean it.
Fred

IaTR6
Dennis Costello
Central Iowa
(192 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: September 19, 2020 02:57PM

Thanks Fred, I'm sure my fan isn't running when I'm running on the highway. My bulb test leads me to believe that.
As an aside, the fuse I spoke of earlier, that kept blowing, feeds the EDIS and the switched source to my Megasquirt.
Fortunately, neither was the issue, but a poorly wrapped splice done by the same incompetent shade-tree mechanic that did all the other work!
I'm glad I never paid him.
Dennis

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.