tips, technology, tools and techniques related to vehicle driveline components

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Tremelune
Fat Dog

(2 posts)

04/14/2018 12:33PM

Main British Car:

4.0 Rover V8 - carb to EFI (and oil on top of the motor)
Posted by: Tremelune
Date: November 06, 2020 08:34PM

I have an MGB with a Rover V8 with a carburetor...I believe it is a 4.0 pulled from a ~'95 Defender. How might I convert this to fuel injection? Stock intake manifold and airbox? Stock computer? MegaSquirt...? All-in-one kit? I'm a dumb American who doesn't really know what GEMs is, and it seems like a lot of "kits" assume you're starting out with a complete stock setup. I was hoping there would be a complete kit with all the modern goodies that I could just buy and bolt on.

Related question...My engine currently tries to push oil out of everywhere...Should I just find a complete fuel-injected 4.6 and swap it in? I have to pull the carb and intake to deal with oil issues, and I might wind up pulling the valve covers, exhaust manifold, and heads, too, depending on what I find...I'm trying to figure out what the costs are here, and it's trickier in California than the UK...There are just less Rover V8s running around.

Semi-related question...Where do y'all think this oil is coming from?

https://ensaster.com/pics/vehicles/mgb/engine/leak/engine-top/oil-pool.jpg

https://ensaster.com/pics/vehicles/mgb/engine/leak/engine-top/top.jpg

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

10/25/2007 11:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: 4.0 Rover V8 - carb to EFI (and oil on top of the motor)
Posted by: ex-tyke
Date: November 07, 2020 08:34AM

Quote:
Semi-related question...Where do y'all think this oil is coming from?
As a general comment, if "it's coming from everywhere", then it's most likely a poorly engineered crankcase ventilation system....you're letting the crankcase pressure build up and not allowing the engine to burn off fumes.
There's lots of discussion in the archives, specifically for the Rover engine.

Spitfire 350
Phil McConnell
Perrysburg, OH (Toledo area)
(257 posts)

01/11/2010 09:19PM

Main British Car:
74 Spitfire 350Chevy

authors avatar
Posted by: Spitfire 350
Date: November 07, 2020 09:02AM

I suggest investigating aftermarket systems like FI-Tech, Holley Sniper, MSD Atomic.

minorv8
Jukka Harkola

(269 posts)

04/08/2009 06:50AM

Main British Car:
Morris Minor Rover V8

Posted by: minorv8
Date: November 09, 2020 04:49AM

There is a book "How to give your MGB V8 power" by Roger Williams. Obviously you have that sorted out already but there is a chapter in the book that covers EFi conversion. Space is pretty limited in MGB so fitting an EFi system is not the easiest job. Simplest option would be utilizing the current intake and swapping an aftermarket system as already suggested. Height might be an issue, though.

Another option is to use factory lower manifold and fabricating your own plenum as well programmable ECU but that is more complex. That is what I did but my car is not a MGB and I did not have problem with the space available.

Note also that you will need to modify the fuel system as well to suit the EFi.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.