England
(112 posts)

07/30/2011 01:08PM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB GT

Additional crank pulleys
Posted by: waterbucket
Date: April 05, 2021 09:38AM

I know its quite common to have additional crankshaft pulleys, the Rover V8 in various iterations had extra pulleys to drive air con etc, is there a problem using a second harmonic pulley? With my Jaguar AJV6 I am unable to keep the ancillaries in the original low down position (too wide) and because both cylinder heads and part of the timing chain case overhang the crank pulley I will have to attach a second one further forward. The Mazda Tribute pulley has three spokes each with a threaded bolt hole, my solution is to machine those spokes flat and mount a spacer on them and attach a second pulley to that. The spacer will separate the two pulleys by about an inch and a half so I have one each side of the steering rack. For me the easiest and cheapest pulleys are from Peugeot or BMW as they are both bolt to a flat surface type. The BMW one is a harmonic pulley which weighs 2.3 lbs and has 6 ribs. The Peugeot one is a solid pulley and weighs 1.2 lbs but only has four ribs and is only 4" in diameter whereas the BMW pulley is 51/2" in diameter. The small diameter Peugeot pulley can be overcome though, what would you do?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.