Central Iowa
(192 posts)

12/29/2007 02:53PM

Main British Car:
'73 TR 6 '97 Explorer 5.0

replaceable paper element fuel filter
Posted by: IaTR6
Date: January 21, 2023 04:13PM

I have an EFI system on my TR6, and the 10 micron post pump fuel filter is under the car approximately directly
under the fuel tank. The access is difficult, requiring raising the rear of the car. I have a paper element filter
that could be mounted under the bonnet, which would ease access. The filter has the fuel enter around the outer
area of the filter, and exits through the center. This ensures any air in the canister exits through the center, so no air
remains in the filter canister. The paper element is surrounded both inside and out with a perforated metal wrap.
If I were to switch the inlet and outlets, so the fuel entered the center of the element, and placed the canister on it's
side so the exit was on the top, the air would have an escape, and I would have the clearance I need to the underside of the bonnet.
What do you think?
Thanks, Dennis

IaTR6
Dennis Costello
Central Iowa
(192 posts)

12/29/2007 02:53PM

Main British Car:
'73 TR 6 '97 Explorer 5.0

Re: replaceable paper element fuel filter
Posted by: IaTR6
Date: January 21, 2023 08:23PM

I think I have solved my own problem. Although I think the filter would work in reverse flow. after thinking more clearly about
its construction, I see that the filter element is held to the top of the canister, where the inlet and outlets are by a spring at the
bottom of the element, and if the filter were flowing in reverse, any significant obstruction to flow would cause the pump pressure
to push the filter element away from its inlet seal by compressing the spring at the bottom which holds the element against the upper seal. As originally
designed, any restriction to flow would cause the incoming pressure to push the element up, and tighter to the outlet seal.
So, decision made!
-Dennis

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.