(241 posts)

11/17/2007 01:13PM

Main British Car:
1968 MGB GT Ford 302 crate engine

authors avatar
TKX transmission
Posted by: 302GT
Date: February 15, 2024 05:20PM

I put a TKX transmission in my car as a T-5 replacement; there was nothing wrong with the T-5 but I wanted to try something that was state-of-the-art. The TKX fit well but it required a different TKX specific bell housing. The transmission mounting pad was in the same place as the T-5 pad, but it dropped the transmission an inch lower so I had to make a 1 inch spacer to preserve the drive shaft angle. The optional shifter had enough locator options to finally get the shift lever centered in the MGB tunnel.
The shift action is excellent, noticeably lighter and faster than the T-5. The ratios also seem slightly better (I got the wide ratio Ford version).

Unfortunately, the transmission is noisy. There is a rattle/vibration below about 2200 rpm and an occasional loud buzz from the shifter. The rattle was very similar to one I had in the T-5 and which I fixed by increasing the input bearing preload. This could be the problem with the TKX, but I need to remove the transmission to check this. I also called Silver Sport Transmission (a Tremac distributor) and they said noise was normal, then admitted it may not be normal, but was not a sign of any mechanical distress. One suggestion was to hit the input shaft with a large hammer to better seat the rear input shaft bearing, which might reduce the shifter rattle, and they also admitted the input bearing preload might not be right. Another suggestion was to drive at least 500 miles to break-in the transmission and then the noise would go away. I did not contact Tremac directly yet …

An internet search showed that some people experienced no noise, but others had problems similar to mine. It was not clear if Tremac would actually fix a noisy transmission under warranty. Sometimes they did but were not always successful, and it generally took several months.

I can easily adjust the input shaft preload and that might take care of everything but it takes me about 20 hours to remove and replace the engine/transmission and I do not feel like doing this very soon.

Airwreckc
Eric Cumming
RTP, North Carolina
(250 posts)

05/28/2020 10:10AM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB-GT (working on a Sebring project) Buick 300-4 V8

Re: TKX transmission
Posted by: Airwreckc
Date: February 15, 2024 05:40PM

That's a really interesting transmission. I had a TR-3650 built to significantly improved specs for my MGB V8 project--of course, this transmission didn't exist at the time. The narrower case would certainly be a nice thing, as I'll likely have to widen my tunnel. I guess the only thing I can hope is that mine shifts like butter (which is what I've been promised).
IMG_5371.jpg

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4514 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: February 16, 2024 08:50AM

You should be able to drop the trans without pulling the engine, Larry.

joe_padavano
Joseph Padavano
Northern Virginia
(157 posts)

02/15/2010 03:49PM

Main British Car:
1962 F-85 Deluxe wagon 215 Olds

Posted by: joe_padavano
Date: February 16, 2024 09:24AM

The GM-spec TKX bolts to an Muncie/T10 bellhousing. Why did you need a "specific" one?

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4514 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: February 16, 2024 10:50AM

Larry has a Ford V8, so his bell housing has that "other" pattern. ;)

turbodave
dave cox

(181 posts)

04/30/2018 03:00PM

Main British Car:
SD1

Posted by: turbodave
Date: February 18, 2024 09:25PM

Have you used an indicator and measured the run-out of the pilot diameter and the trans mounting face on the bell housing?

I have heard the TKX is significantly more sensitive to this than the T5 ever was, and creates noise and other issues.
Just because a bell fits an engine, doesn't mean it's properly aligned to that engine..

I have the T5 in my SD1, and would love a TKX, but the T5 is working out really well for me at this time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.