John Santoni

(2 posts)

02/05/2009 06:48PM

Main British Car:

Info on Rover V8 and transmission
Posted by: garagestmarien
Date: February 06, 2009 09:21PM

Hi all,
I am planning on a Rover V8 conversion soon and would like advise on what is the best motor to go for. 3.5,3.9,4.6 etc.
Which one makes the most reliable power and which one has the best tuning capabilities.
I'm not sure whether to set up with a 4 barrel carb or injection, I will most probably be using nitrous and am toying with fitting a blower.
What would be a good manual gearbox to use, I have also considered an auto with high stall converter etc, but don't know if this will sacrifice performance.
Any ideas or info would be a great help
Thanks
John

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Info on Rover V8 and transmission
Posted by: Moderator
Date: February 06, 2009 10:10PM

Welcome to the forum John!

Tell us more about your plans. What model car? Where and how will you drive it? Budget? Etc.

If you're seriously thinking about an "auto with high stall converter", that suggests you're a drag racer. If that's your game, you'll want a really stout engine block. Only the 4.0 and 4.6 come with four-bolt main bearing caps.

There's an argument to be made for the earlier/smaller engines if you're looking for a nice, nimble sports car. Some people will tell you that four-bolt mains are overkill and that they actually add a bit of friction. The earlier engines have more aluminum around the sleeves, and are less likely to have cracking issues. The earlier engines are simpler to install (for many people) because they come with a more familiar oil pump and a conventional distributor. They're cheaper. You didn't mention the 4.2 - but that's a particular favorite.

Transmission choice may have a lot to do with your location. LT77 is most popular in England (because it's available), but in North America we have good reasons to strongly prefer the Borg Warner T5 (which is lighter weight and more compact). Australians often prefer the Toyota 5-speed (which is even skinnier and also slicker shifting.)

There are articles on ALL these topics in our huge archive... so make sure to surf through and have a look.

Have you seen this car yet? [www.britishv8.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.