(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Help identify this Jag IRS differential please
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: February 10, 2009 01:24PM

This is from a Salisbury housing, similar in most ways to XKE and XJ6 up through series III, however it has several notable and important differences

MVC-061S.JPG

The brake caliper uses an aluminum attachment bracket.

MVC-062S.JPG

The Power-Lok posi housing carries a pressed on trigger wheel, but there is no pickup. I have seen reference to an aluminum cover with a pickup for the speedometer and that could have been changed and left on the car (very likely). This ring is easily removed if not needed.

MVC-063S.JPG

And most importantly, it carries a ring gear that is attached with 7/16" bolts rather than the smaller 3/8" bolts used in all of the earlier units. This change alone is very important because not only does it add a great deal of strength, it makes the ring gear consistent with all of the rest of the garden variety Dana 44 ring gears used in a tremendous number of axles. This gives a great deal more selection in gear ratios and differential units.

I would like to know what car it comes from. This particular unit not only had the power-lok posi but also a 3.54 gear set, apparently a relative rarity in Jaguars.

Jim

MVC-066S.JPG

rickbondy
richard bondy
Traverse City, Michigan 49684
(8 posts)

01/19/2009 08:01AM

Main British Car:

Re: Help identify this Jag IRS differential please
Posted by: rickbondy
Date: February 11, 2009 11:33AM

I have a '69 E-Type and it is not from it. Looking in all of my Jag books though the best place to focus is a 1988 XJ-40 Eurpoean Model. They came with a 3.54 gear and power lock, unlike the US models which were open. XJ40s also used a transducer mounted on the differential for the speedometer. The XJ-S used a Dana differential.

Good hunting,

Rick Bondy

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Re: Help identify this Jag IRS differential please
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: February 11, 2009 02:33PM

Looks like I made one mistake, the 7/16 ring bolts are standard Jag and Dana 44 uses the 3/8" ones. Oops!

According to one reference I have, the XJ40 used an entirely different mounting system that has a couple of very large round bosses that extend rearward from the back of the case, and have nothing in common with the earlier design which is basically derived from a Dana 44.

This one is the same as the XK type. I mainly want to know about the brakes.

Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.