tips, technology, tools and techniques related to vehicle driveline components

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

homer
george Sherback

(1 posts)

02/19/2009 08:23PM

Main British Car:

GM TBI I hope this isn't too basic..........
Posted by: homer
Date: February 20, 2009 01:27PM

I know this is primitive TBI, but I really want to install generic GM TBI unit in my 3.5 liter TR8 with 600 cfm Holley, Edelbrock performer manifold, mildly uprated cam and headers. I have researched this and feel comfortable with all aspects except:

1. Controlling vacuum advance. I have a Mallory Hall effect distributor and have read that some installs maintain old advance mechanism. ( I still have the OE dist) Computer controlled advance seems to be necessary..... What are my options?

2. What kind of vss do I install on the stock 5 spd tranny?

3. Maintaining AC is important. I think the ECM needs to only know when I turn it on(?)

4. Which parts should I get from the bone yard? I think I know which throttle body, fuel pump, ecu, o2 sensor to get. Would a wide band o2 sensor be a good addition?

5. Some sites say ECM reprogramming is not necessary. Since I am not using EGR or concerned about emissions in any way, I want to maximize reliability yet get performance, I think a concientious reprogrammer is a good idea but I've read that some vendors really do very little to maximize operation.

6. Am I nuts?????
THIS SEEMS LIKE A GREAT PROJECT.

J Man
jason adkins
NW OH
(202 posts)

01/21/2009 08:49PM

Main British Car:
'61 Morris Minor panel, '70 MGB GT, '74 MGB GT MGB 1.8, unsure yet on the GTs

Re: GM TBI I hope this isn't too basic..........
Posted by: J Man
Date: April 04, 2009 07:53PM

what do you hope to get out of it?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.