st. charles
(215 posts)

01/28/2008 10:53AM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Rdst V8 project, 1968 MGC GT, 1969 MGB Rd olds 215

accusump use
Posted by: crashbash
Date: March 05, 2009 03:11PM

Does anyone use an Accusump for pre lube on these expensive engines we're building? How long will they hold pressure? My bearings rattle every time I start my 1.8l B. Kinda like to do something to prevent shortening life on these V8 engines. How 'bout reusable oil filters? I plan on solid lifters in a .040 max 215, is it worth the trouble considering the new oils dilemma on solids, and how so easy hydralics are to use.............thoughts?

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Re: accusump use
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: March 05, 2009 04:42PM

I don't use one on my car, but am familiar with them on race cars and they work very well. You can use either a manual valve or an electric valve that will open when you turn on the ignition or flip a switch. For a street car I think the electric version would be the handiest. I don't know how long they will hold pressure, but it certainly is for many hours as I've seen racers do a practice session early in the morning then park the car and not fire it again until late afternoon without any pressure loss problems.
One problem with Bs is the tendency for the oil in the filter to drain back into the sump when the engine is shut off because of way the filter is mounted. You could try a remote filter mount as another way to keep the filter full and reduce any "dry" run time at startup.

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Re: accusump use
Posted by: roverman
Date: April 29, 2009 02:47PM

Hi, Moroso makes an inexpensive, $50.-ish,(bottle), one piece, similar to accusump but no floating piston inside. It installs vertically/up to 20deg max tilt in engine bay. Aluminum, holds approx. 1.5 qts. With solenoid control, I would plug it in nearest oil pump as possible. With-out, furthest away. Hope this helps, roverman.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.