(659 posts)

10/16/2007 05:30AM

Main British Car:
'73 Vega GT 4.9L Rover/Buick Stroker

authors avatar
Re: Thicker head gasket?
Posted by: NixVegaGT
Date: October 05, 2009 10:13AM

Hey man. The valve reliefs are cut at something like 7.5º if I remember right. Our heads have a really shallow valve angle. COOL. I used the head gaskets as a template and cut the heads the old fashioned way then cc'd the volume. The difference was minimal at ≈ 1cc.

The machine shop told me that I shouldn't notice a big difference in balance because the amount of material removed was small compared to overall weight and equal amounts were removed from each piston.

On the quench: You mean you don't think it will matter on our engine? or that .050" isn't enough?

I assembled the engine for the last time yesterday. I couldn't torque the rods because I didn't have the stretch gauge handy. That will have to come later. I was able to check the actual final dimensions of everything. I initially thought the pistons were going to be shorter at .012 above deck but when everything was assembled for the last time I ended up with .035 above deck. Right where it was when I started:

Head Cc: 46
Piston Cc: 4

Deck: +.035
Quench: ≈ .038

Head gasket dia: 3.77"

Bore/stroke: 3.74 x 3.4
Intake valve ABDC: 68º (@.050 + 15º) (adv: 71º)

CR: 12.6:1
DCR: 9.54:1 @ 1000 ft. (9.72:1 @ sea level)

Not huge compression but I'm happy with it. The pistons are not forged so it's just as well I'm not pushing it there. Since detonation is so ulikely with E85 I could get away with lighter/weaker pistons. We'll see how it turns out. It could be they don't last and I'll start this process all over again. LOL!

So no more waffling. This is where the numbers are. My course is finally set.

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Posted by: roverman
Date: October 05, 2009 08:16PM

Nic, since your pistons are not "race" I'm thinkin you have pin offset? Know how much? This will reduce "I" loads at turn-around and lateral thrust. I'm sure you ring-gapped for Hyper,(hotter)piston per mfg'r? Your pistons should have minimum rock at reversal. Some of the reasons for squish and quench areas are to reduce end-gasses from going-off prematurely, (detonation), also to provide beneficial turbulence. The more one increases gap clearances the less effective they become. Personally, I prefer less than.05", aluminum rods not withstanding and considering rpm/stretch. I hope all of your effort is returned in "the loud pedal", roverman.

NixVegaGT
Nicolas Wiederhold
Minneapolis, MN
(659 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: October 06, 2009 01:02PM

Boy me too. I fought with the engine all morning with a game I like to call the Heli-coil suffle! SUPER frustrating. I'll start a new thread for that. I'm sure we'll all chime in. LOL.

Pin-offset. Is that were the pin centerline is above the shear surfaces? I think so... Never checked this though. I did gap the rings VERY carefully. It took a few long hours. I gapped them to each respective cylinder and kept them with the pistons the cylinders where blueprinted to. Hopefully that will pay off a little.

hoffbug
Tony Hoffer
Minnesota
(323 posts)

10/15/2007 05:25PM

Main British Car:
Olds 215 EFI

Posted by: hoffbug
Date: October 06, 2009 06:30PM

Damn.. If I wasnt sick Id invite myself over for a look.. :-)

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: October 06, 2009 10:59PM

Nick, Art is talking wrist pin offset.

NixVegaGT
Nicolas Wiederhold
Minneapolis, MN
(659 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: October 07, 2009 10:01AM

Ah I get it. Since I machined the top of the piston the offset is different now. Hmmm. I hadn't thought of that.
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.