62Healeyhacker
Jerry Jackman

(19 posts)

04/11/2009 10:58PM

Main British Car:

fuel pump won't prime
Posted by: 62Healeyhacker
Date: April 19, 2009 06:30PM

I was concerned about having old gas since my BT7 hasn't been fired up in over a year. I pulled the line to the carburetor and turned on the Holley electric fuel pump for a few seconds until it had pumped about 10 ounces of fuel into a container. Then I filled the gas tank with fresh gas and turned the key. The pump whirrs continuously but no gas is being pumped. I note that the fuel line from the tank comes up over the axle and then down to the low side of the pump. I removed the inlet to the pump and some fuel came out but I feel sure that the high line and the pump are without fuel.

Advice is most welcome! I want to get on the road.

Citron
Stephen DeGroat
Lugoff, SC
(367 posts)

10/23/2007 09:43PM

Main British Car:
1970 MGBGT V6, 7004R, AC, matching trailer 3.1 liter

Re: fuel pump won't prime
Posted by: Citron
Date: April 21, 2009 02:27PM

Try blowing into the tank from the filler. Either good old lung power or use a compersser. You do not need to have an air tight connection, so some pressure is applied to the tank. It should move the gas up the line.

Steve

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4513 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: April 22, 2009 06:11PM

Had to do that with my '68 Camaro once when it ran out of gas (had a Holley electric fuel pump). I felt stupid blowing into the gas tank, but it actually worked.

62Healeyhacker
Jerry Jackman

(19 posts)

04/11/2009 10:58PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: 62Healeyhacker
Date: June 04, 2009 08:49PM

I already tried to blow into the fuel tank inlet while listening to the fuel pump humm. It didn't work. I put the cover over the Healey and went onto the 101 other things I am involved with. I suspect there's a physical blockage within the tank. But how would I have been able to vacuum gas to the inlet to the fuel pump?
The next thing I'm going to try is to hoist the rear into the air to see if gravity will do the trick. The Holley website says the pump is designed to puss, not pull, and must be below the fuel level in the tank. The Healey tank is low down.
Thanks for the responses.
JJ

castlesid
Kevin Jackson
Sidcup UK
(361 posts)

11/18/2007 10:38AM

Main British Car:
1975 MGB GT Rover V8 4.35L

Posted by: castlesid
Date: June 05, 2009 04:36AM

You could try taking the pump off and letting it hang below the bottom of the tank and see if it will prime that way.

Kevin.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.