Minnesota
(323 posts)

10/15/2007 05:25PM

Main British Car:
Olds 215 EFI

Re: Water neck
Posted by: hoffbug
Date: May 18, 2009 04:54PM

Is there a reason you want a filler neck above the thermostat?

Is your radiator way lower then the height of the manifold?

NixVegaGT
Nicolas Wiederhold
Minneapolis, MN
(659 posts)

10/16/2007 05:30AM

Main British Car:
'73 Vega GT 4.9L Rover/Buick Stroker

authors avatar
Posted by: NixVegaGT
Date: May 19, 2009 08:39AM

LOL. no. It's about level. It's a no access rad though. SO I need a way to fill it. The other thing I was considering was an expansion tank. Maybe I could mount it above and behind the engine on the firewall or something. Opinions? Here's another thing; With an expansion tank do you use an overflow? Or just don't fill it all the way? I've never used one.

Thanks team.

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

10/25/2007 11:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: ex-tyke
Date: May 19, 2009 10:24AM

What you're proposing (with the Summit fill neck) should work just fine. The small overflow hose should route to an overflow bottle/expansion tank (similar to the original MGB brass overflow) which is a non-pressurized vessel...ie. there is no pressure cap on an overflow tank. As the engine cools, water is drawn back through a small valve in the pressure cap to replenish lost coolant.
On the other hand, a surge tank is a pressurized vessel that is generally mounted high in the cooling circuit and is also a venting device for entrained air that develops in the cooling system (generally the highest point in the engine and the radiator) - this is not what you want in your case.
Edit: One more thing - initial engine coolant fill is done through the pressurized rad cap - you cannot fill through the expansion tank

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2009 10:27AM by ex-tyke.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: May 19, 2009 01:07PM

I agree with what Graham said, except possibly "this is not what you want in your case..." - For a street car, I prefer a regular water neck on the engine and a pressurized transparent vessel (from a European car such as Volkswagen, Volvo, Saab, BMW, etc.) mounted on the firewall. I've used a system of this type on my MGB for many years. I find it reassuring to be able to see the coolant level at a glance. The bottle will have a coolant level line marked on it. Don't fill coolant higher than that line or the system will puke the excess. (I've done that.) Of course the system will also puke coolant if you way overheat the engine. (I haven't done that.)

This shows a VW Jetta header tank and my old radiator and vent lines.
(I'll have a new photo with different radiator and vent lines soon.)
http://www.britishv8.org/MG/CurtisJacobson/CurtisJacobson-DC.jpg

My VW bottle has little vents in the bottom of the cap. That might not conform with racing rules... but other tanks/caps are apparently available with an overflow port, like this photo apparently shows:

[www.oeveedub.com] (Note the price... $22 for a brand new pressure tank!)
http://www.oeveedub.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/025-121-403A.jpg
(I haven't actually inspected this bottle in person. I just came stumbled across it and bookmarked the link.)

hoffbug
Tony Hoffer
Minnesota
(323 posts)

10/15/2007 05:25PM

Main British Car:
Olds 215 EFI

Posted by: hoffbug
Date: May 19, 2009 01:44PM

Ahh.. OK.. I guess I was thinking of the air lock situation my friend had with the newer LT-1 he installed in his 69 Chevelle.. He had to run an expansion tank above the filler neck to properly fill the block and radiator.

NixVegaGT
Nicolas Wiederhold
Minneapolis, MN
(659 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 21, 2009 09:42AM

That is great! I think I'm going to go with the expansion tank on the firewall idea. Thanks for pitching in, guys.

ON another note, Curtis. Did you fabricate the plenum housing on your carb? Do you think it flows enough for 5.0l?

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: May 24, 2009 09:03PM

Quote:
On another note, Curtis. Did you fabricate the plenum housing on your carb? Do you think it flows enough for 5.0l?

I've only "tested" it with my own 3.5L engine... so I can't answer about your much higher flow rate. Area at the narrowest cross-section measures ~5.5 square inches. (The section is a symmetrical trapezoid 1.375" tall with a 4" wide base and a 3.675" wide top... but deduct a little for rounded corners.) Did I fabricate it? No, my friend Ashley Dudding did. He was helping me with the conversion, and one night we had a friendly competition. He created that "cobra head" in one night, and I created the aluminum air cleaner housing the very same night. I think his design is a little more elegant, plus he really did make deadline. I took the aluminum air filter housing to a professional welder the next afternoon and him lay down pretty beads with a TIG welder.

The air filter might also be a little small for 5.0L race motor. (It's from a 3.0L Ford Probe.)

NixVegaGT
Nicolas Wiederhold
Minneapolis, MN
(659 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 26, 2009 09:49AM

Thanks man. I'm just trying to ideate a concept to get cool air into the engine. I know a number of injected cars use like 4" tube and it works OK. I found a plenum that has a 4" inlet but it says it's max airflow is 4.0l. Hmmmm.

I guess I've got to see if the engine fits under the hood before I get too far. LOL. Thanks for the input.

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: May 26, 2009 02:13PM

Nick, I saw these on Two Guys Garage a couple of weeks ago. I looked them up on line, the low profile unit flows 675cfm the high top unit flows 900cfm. Unless your engine is really built for drag racing I'd think the 675 cfm unit would do ok for a 5.0.
[www.powerflowracing.com]

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: May 26, 2009 02:38PM

Wow. According to that link, a cold air induction system can provide a 27 percent horsepower and torque boost on a 60 degree F day. Wouldn't it be nice if that were true!

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: May 26, 2009 05:13PM

As promised above, photos of my updated/simplified plumbing have been uploaded here:
[www.britishv8.org]

Example:
http://www.britishv8.org/MG/CurtisJacobson/CurtisJacobson-BE.jpg

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.