(659 posts)

10/16/2007 05:30AM

Main British Car:
'73 Vega GT 4.9L Rover/Buick Stroker

authors avatar
Venting… and not the crankcase kind
Posted by: NixVegaGT
Date: June 02, 2009 10:31AM

I'm flipping out a little because when I tested my valves with the cam today I discovered that the exhaust valve reliefs need another 100 thou for a total of about 170 thou and the intake reliefs need another 50 thou for a total of about 130 thou. AAAHHHHH!!!! I'm never going to get this damn thing put together!

If anybody needs a guy to assemble a rover engine, I can do it with my eyes closed now. GEEEZ! This has got to be the 3rd or 4th time.

OK OK OK ok ok ok ok ok. Frustration stabilizing… wwwhhhHHHOOOAAA! Here it comes again. AAAAHHHHH!!! Ok ok ok. I'm good.

LOL thanks guys.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6469 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Re: Venting… and not the crankcase kind
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: June 02, 2009 10:39AM

Just say OoooMmmmmm......, Mmelllooowwwwww......., Just Do It Man, Oooommmmm, Mmelllooowwwwww........

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Posted by: roverman
Date: June 02, 2009 01:25PM

OK, Ok, easy now.. Anyone tried the: "very lite valve spring/telescoping/lockable-pushrod", trick? Springs,(2), int./exh.,like useds to get pushrod checking length. (2) freely telescoping pushrods with side-locking feature. They will need to have correct radii ea. end and at least correct std. length and collaspsible in amount of rocker ratio and valve clearance needed. Pushrod starts at standard length,(measure/record), with locking mechanism just tight enough to hold back the" LITE", spring pressure. SLOWLY crank by hand till pushrod is at maximum comression,(valve has "gently" met the piston), lock pushrod and record length. Subtract the difference in lengths, add additional required clearance between valve head and piston and multiply by rocker conversion ratio. Hope this helps. If you think your under pressure, how bout those valves? roverman.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6469 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: June 02, 2009 05:16PM

Personally I like the clay method, but then I'm sort of visual that way.

Jim

NixVegaGT
Nicolas Wiederhold
Minneapolis, MN
(659 posts)

10/16/2007 05:30AM

Main British Car:
'73 Vega GT 4.9L Rover/Buick Stroker

authors avatar
Posted by: NixVegaGT
Date: June 02, 2009 05:23PM

I did something similar. I used a checking pushrod, mostly because I haven't ordered my rods yet. Then I cut an old set of rocker shaft springs in half and used one half on each valve in place of the valve spring. Then I cycled the engine. As the piston gets to the top I periodically check the depth by pushing down on the rocker and measuring the difference with a depth gauge. I rotate the crank a couple degrees and check it again. It's important to check it a lot because in my case it is just a fraction of distance that it interferes. Like If I move the crank by 3º it's a lot different. Interesting.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.