Red Sox Nation!
(60 posts)

11/02/2007 08:29AM

Main British Car:
1977 MGB Ford 302/5L

T5 Throwout bearing question
Posted by: jbarila
Date: December 17, 2007 03:43PM

When installing a hydraulic slave cylinder (CNC) Do you adjust the throwout bearing to have a clearence on the fingers or should it have a preload. I cant fabricate my bracket untill I find out. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
JB

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

10/25/2007 11:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: T5 Throwout bearing question
Posted by: ex-tyke
Date: December 18, 2007 06:00PM

John,
I think that you''ll find that the answer is dependent on the make of the engine/driveline. My Ford Mustang throwout bearing is designed to operate preloaded against the clutch fingers (ie the bearing is in constant motion) . However, I believe that a more typical system has the release bearing installed statically and with about an 1/8" clearance. Not sure about Rover setup.
You can still complete your slave mounting bracket but you'll have to design an adjustable pushrod.

jbarila
John Barilaro
Red Sox Nation!
(60 posts)

11/02/2007 08:29AM

Main British Car:
1977 MGB Ford 302/5L

Posted by: jbarila
Date: December 19, 2007 08:31AM

Thanks Graham,
I am using a Ford 302 and a T5 tranny. I am not used to seeing a preload on a typical throwout bearing. One hint from me though, If your slave cylinder does not have enough stroke adjusting the T5 pivot ball can make up alot of travel as long as proper clearence/preload is achieved.
Thanks again!
JB

BMC
Brian Mc Cullough
Forest Lake, Minnesota, USA
(383 posts)

10/30/2007 02:27AM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB '95 3.4L 'L32' SFI V6, GM V6T5 & 3.42 Limi

authors avatar
Posted by: BMC
Date: December 22, 2007 12:20AM

For the HTOB, we leave instructions of leaving a certain amount of space. Preload, as the clutch wears, will only become additional preload leaving so much load that the crank thrust bearing and the clutch bearing will wear out very early. Preload is okay for a race app that you are pulling a couple times a year. For a daily driver, I believe its a no-no.

-BMC.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.