(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
MSD 6AL vs. 6AL-2
Posted by: Moderator
Date: July 02, 2009 03:54PM

Are you guys familiar with the newer version of MSD ignition controller, "6AL-2"? If so, would you recommend it?

The "6AL" seems extremely popular with both racers and hot-rodders. One nice feature is its soft-touch rev-limiter. On the 6AL model, you select and plug-in a "chip" (which looks somewhat like a blade fuse) to set the rev-limiter at the RPM you want. The chips are sold separately, and come in 200rpm increments. On the newer "6AL-2" model, the rev-limiter RPM setting is changed via switch settings, in 100rpm increments. Once you figure-in the cost of chips, the price difference between MSD models isn't large. The 6AL-2 is physically smaller, plus MSD claims it's more powerful (535V/135mJ vs. 480V/115mJ). It seems like a no-brainer... which has me wondering why I haven't noticed any 6AL-2 boxes on cars yet.

the familiar MSD 6AL ignition...
http://www.britishv8.org/Other/CraigChima-GinettaG4/CraigChima-GinettaG4-EH.jpg

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4514 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: MSD 6AL vs. 6AL-2
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: July 02, 2009 11:23PM

Like i said on that other forum, "Don't pay for those fancy chips or pills. They are just a resistor. I had a friend that used to build an adjustable one with a 5 position rotary switch & 5 resistors."

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: July 03, 2009 02:22AM

Cool.

The two models do have two different circuit boards. I wonder how much different they really are. Didn't Pete Mantell's MSD toss its cookies during the 2007 meet? I wonder if the new box is more (or less) robust...

theonlyiceman53
Bill Russell
Florda
(85 posts)

11/18/2008 06:01AM

Main British Car:
77MGB 350 Chevy with LT1 heads

authors avatar
Posted by: theonlyiceman53
Date: February 15, 2011 09:08PM

Since starting the current engine in the grey MGB there has been a slight hesitation to start and slight miss at lower RPM. Not bad but just enough to irritate. Checked the plugs, wires, etc. and no problem. Finally decided to put in a MSD 6AL that was laying around. While taking out the HEI GM module found one of the Mag leads pulled out and loose. Part of the installation was eliminating the module so it was easy to make sure there was a good connection. On re-start it tripped over itself trying to start! A lot more power was available from bottom end to top end. So, was it the loose connection or the MSD unit that made the difference? No idea but it was a big 10 on the grin factor!
Bill

302GT
Larry Shimp

(241 posts)

11/17/2007 01:13PM

Main British Car:
1968 MGB GT Ford 302 crate engine

authors avatar
Posted by: 302GT
Date: February 24, 2011 05:46AM

I had an MSD 6AL fitted under the glove biox. It worked fine, but emittrd a constant humming noise due to a coil ionside vibrating. I replaced it with a Crane unit that was completely potted inside and is totally quiet. Both units worked the same.

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1366 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: February 24, 2011 12:36PM

I've used the old 6AL on many vehicles and had great success.
There are two issues however that need to be kept in mind.
The first one is noise, as Larry pointed out. Because these are analog boxes they emit an annoying whine while in operation.
(kinda like me when the scotch runs low)
No problem under the hood but it will drive you crazy if mounted inside the car.
The second is again due to it's analog design. It's EMF emissions are quite high. This can be picked up by your sound system or if you have fuel injection it can cause all sorts of odd behavior.
I have not yet tried the new one but I understand that it's a digital design that is far superior.
IMHO MSD has made great products for years and I assume that they will continue that trend.

Cheers
Fred

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.