Steering, Suspension, & Brakes

tips, technology, tools and techniques related to non-driveline mechanical components

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

B-Fast B-Strong
William Smith

(144 posts)

10/17/2009 11:28PM

Main British Car:
Bugeye Bodied Spriget

authors avatar
Question About Steering changes on V8 Swap !
Posted by: B-Fast B-Strong
Date: November 07, 2009 11:40AM

I am trying to get all the info I need to swap a Ford 302 into my RB roadster. Ordered a Williams book but I got a copy that covered only the alum v8 with right hand steering. Looking at pictures in your photo gallery, after cutting the firewall out, putting the metal back and re-cutting the hole it looks to me like the steering column does not stick through as far as it did. Has it been shortened? Do mods need to be made ? If so what !!!!!
Thanks Will

castlesid
Kevin Jackson
Sidcup UK
(361 posts)

11/18/2007 10:38AM

Main British Car:
1975 MGB GT Rover V8 4.35L

Re: Question About Steering changes on V8 Swap !
Posted by: castlesid
Date: November 24, 2009 08:35PM

Will

Lots of info in the How it was done articles.

Kevin.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: Question About Steering changes on V8 Swap !
Posted by: rficalora
Date: November 24, 2009 09:16PM

Will, looks like this post is from back in early Nov... if you're still looking to figure this out, reply with what you're doing for motor mounts. If you're using Comet mounts like Graham, Pete & others, you shouldn't need to modify the firewall or change the steering. If you're using the FastCars front suspension with integral 302 mounts or fabbing your own mounts & putting the engine lower/further back like the FastCars suspension does, then you'll need to modify the firewall. Neither of those should require you to modify the steering column mount point.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.